Honored Contributor

Re: products for nose to mouth lines and for firming

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

Nose to mouth lines are caused by the tissue of your cheeks sagging and falling forward and downward. Lots of techniques can help that. Treatments that increase collagen production will help. Treatments that slow down collagen breakdown help too.

Filling in the actual line with filler tends to make people look puffy. When you smile, there should be a line in that spot. Teens have nose to mouth lines when they smile. Filling in higher up in the cheek area to lift the cheek and pull up the sag looks good at first. But over time, the face starts looking oddly wide and almost lion-like. Some of the Real Housewives sport different stages of that look.

A facelift will reposition the tissue and reduce the sag. But the quality of the repositioned tissue will remain the same. So if it lacks collagen and firmness, it still won't look quite right. Also you can reposition the muscle yourself with massage and facial exercise, if you are willing to put in the effort.

My recommendation: Use sunscreen and antioxidants to guard the collagen that is present, so you don't lose it faster than you build it. And then use a treatment of your choice to produce collagen. Could be peptides, retinoids, controlled damage (such as laser or dermarolling), or others.

@Porcelain  ITA w/ everything except facial massage/ exercise....Every time the face moves, lines are formed on their own. Look at eyes and necks showing age quickly. Why manipulate that skin more than necessary?

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@Mitchell wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch

Thank you for letting me know how to reply to a specific member. I am thinking of trying Skinn products and also Elysee. Can I ask what collagen supplements you take?

For an idea for collagen supplements:

NuNaturals Collagen Peptides that I buy from Wegmans.

It is a powder supplement that I mix in my juice every a.m.

Caution about powder collagen...be careful because some brands tastes like it came directly off the cow's hoof!

@Harpa  Ewwwwh!

@Shanus

I had to throw one away; it was that bad. But the NuNaturals is tasteless. Otherwise, I would resort to capsules.

@On your other comment about facial massage to @porcelain -- that's what the NuFace is all about. Facial massage, as in other procedures, creams, fillers, etc., gives temporary effect.

In facial massage, you are not skewing your facial features, but (in a sense) ironing things out, stimulating blood flow, draining lymph.

Exercises, though, are different. I don't do that, because with them you are (it seems to me) overusing your facial muscles. (Or, are you strengthening them?) You have to ask the ladies who do the facial flex.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@Mitchell wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch

Thank you for letting me know how to reply to a specific member. I am thinking of trying Skinn products and also Elysee. Can I ask what collagen supplements you take?

Caution about powder collagen...be careful because some brands tastes like it came directly off the cow's hoof!

@Harpa  Ewwwwh!

@Shanus

I had to throw one away; it was that bad. But the NuNaturals is tasteless. Otherwise, I would resort to capsules.

@On your other comment about facial massage to @porcelain -- that's what the NuFace is all about. Facial massage, as in other procedures, creams, fillers, etc., gives temporary effect.

In facial massage, you are not skewing your facial features, but (in a sense) ironing things out, stimulating blood flow, draining lymph.

Exercises, though, are different. I don't do that, because with them you are (it seems to me) overusing your facial muscles. (Or, are you strengthening them?) You have to ask the ladies who do the facial flex.

@Harpa  Judging by the same models they use every time NUFACE is presented, they are still wrinkled and have many lines. Using the same models to demonstrate, I assume they want us to believe they’re using NUFACE on a regular basis. If so, no sale here.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@Mitchell wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch

@Harpa  Ewwwwh!

@Shanus

@Harpa  Judging by the same models they use every time NUFACE is presented, they are still wrinkled and have many lines. Using the same models to demonstrate, I assume they want us to believe they’re using NUFACE on a regular basis. If so, no sale here.

Yep, I saw that! It seems that that device is a huge commitment, not just the expense, but in time. Any plumping probably comes more from the hylauronic acid gel, anyway.

A few minutes each morning with the benefit of the oils and I get the same effect. And for me, lines are kept at bay by other means.

Trusted Contributor

There are lots of great creams out there.  But the key IMO to firming and toning skin is facial exercises.  You will find a ton of them on YouTube.

I started doing facial exercises several years ago.  I do them every day for different parts of the face.  I also use Facial Flex (Q used to sell the device, but now you can purchase through Amazon or through the Facial Flex website).  And they DO work when done properly. 

Trusted Contributor

Besides facial exercises, RETINOL!!  It's the ONLY proven method to reduce/get rid of wrinkles! 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus, thanks for validating a lot of what I wrote. Since I respect your views very much, that makes me happy.

Here's my take on facial massage and exercise. Face skin is delicate and thin, yes. And it needs to be treated with extra care. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be handled.

People who get massages and exercise regularly don't end up with especially wrinkly body skin. It's the sunbathers who do. When you get a facial, massage is part of it. Correctly done, the esthetician pulls very little, and any stress is in an upward direction. People who get regular facials tend to look great, not wrinkly.

Also, the face makes loads of microexpressions all day long, many of which are habitual. Such as the line between the brows that gets smoothed out by botox. Some of your facial muscles will be in use all day and most of the night regardless of whether you direct them.

Choosing to direct the muscles for a few minutes each day is just about taking control of what they do and how big they get. Like working a bicep on purpose vs just going about your day and maybe using it a little or a lot or not at all.

You can selectively work facial muscles to strengthen the ones that make you look pleasant and awake. If you know what you are doing, you can minimize any expression lines, and ensure that any you get are in spots you dont mind them. Such as dimples! I love my smile dimples.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Contributor

Where do you get phytoceramides?  Would like to try them out.