Valued Contributor

I really need help  First of all do we need a primer?   My makeup sinks into my skin immediately Go any of  you use a primer that you think is a desert island item?

Respected Contributor

I have tried primer, because so many people on here seem to recommend it.  I used Elf, which is highly recommended on YouTube (and cheap!).  I loved the consistency, but it made zero difference in the way my makeup looked, felt, or stayed put.  

I don't get it. . . .  what's the point?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I tend to forget to use them. A moisturized face is fine for me most days.

Honored Contributor

@mollymaggie wrote:

I really need help  First of all do we need a primer?   My makeup sinks into my skin immediately Go any of  you use a primer that you think is a desert island item?

@mollymaggie  A primer will create a barrier of sorts that will help with your foundation application and keep it from sinking in.  Generally speaking, I don't like/can't wear primers that are heavy with silicones.  I hate the feel of them and they end up causing me to break out.  I recently went through a trial and error of several. I ended up trying The Ordinary High Adherence mattyfying primer and actually like it a lot.  It does have silicones but doesn't give that typical occluded feeling like most of them do.  Best of all, the Ordinary primer is super inexpensive and doesn't break me out.  Hourglass primer has a more lotiony feel, which is nice, but it also has a big pricetag, so pick your poison.  

Valued Contributor

I use primer every day so my skin doesn't absorb makeup, and it gives me a smooth skin consistency. Laura Geller recommends thinking of primer like spackle on a wall. You will always put spackle on holes in a wall and smooth it over rough/uneven surfaces before applying paint. I have used drugstore brand primers and botique brand primers. What works best for me is Mally's Perfect Prep Neutralizing Face Primer, A275855. I have freckles and redness to my skin and I can use this as hydration and as a color neutralizer, especially for the days I don't have time to apply a full face of makeup. Laura Geller primers are awesome, too, and I use A3444 Super Sized Tinted Spackle Primer, for a little summer time glow.

Take advantage of the Q's 30 day return policy if you don't like the product. Once you find the 'right' primer for your skin, you'll never go back Smiley Happy Good luck!

Frequent Contributor

I believe Primers are a personal preference. I use a primer because I have oily skin and half way through the day my makeup would disapear into my skin. I can really tell a difference when I use it and when I do not. I would recommend at least trying a primer to see how it works for you. I have tried OTC ones but I found that some of those just felt so slippery and yuck, so I use LORAC Primer that I purchase on HSN and I love it! It is silicone, oil, fragrance and paraben free also which is a huge plus!

Honored Contributor

@mollymaggie wrote:

@mollymaggie. Hi. I have never used a primer. I think it’s an extra, unnecessary step. If your makeup is sinking in, the formula may be too heavy or too oily. Try a waterproof, long wearing one that tends to be drier. Also check your moisturizer, spf & whatever goes on your skin before makeup. They may be too rich or contain silicone which causes slip.

Esteemed Contributor

It's personal preference - I use a primer in spring/summer because I have very oily skin.  If I don't use an oil-control primer, my face gets greasy and my foundation slides off in a couple hours.  If you have dry or normal skin, your foundation may stay on better without a primer.  There are primers for different skin needs.  I use different primers with different foundations because some primer-foundation combos work well, and others don't.  It's all trial and error.

My "desert island" primer is Mally's Perfect Prep Neutralizing primer.  It doesn't control oil as well as some, but it camoflages rosacea, redness, blotches, acne scars, etc.  On lazy days I wear it alone instead of foundation.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

Tried Laura G's when first came out - terrible - too heavy - pancake type.  Then got another in her kit...........threw it out.  What works for me - I use Revlon liquid makeup (a medium tan color) but first.........apply a thin coat of Revlon same makeup but in a tad lighter shade.  First application covers or diminishes imperfections and med tan seals it.  Both are thin in substance - almost water like. 

Honored Contributor

Actually I don't use a primer but what I have found to work really well for me is my sunscreen. Once applied it creates a barrier between my skincare products and my cosmetics. Th finish looks very nice and smooth and my foundation stays looking good all day. I use Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Liquid. Sometimes it can feel a little tacky after application so I just blot my face a bit with a tissue then apply my foundation afterwards.  Gotta wear sunscreen anyhow so why not 'kill two birds'.Woman Wink