Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Actually I don't use a primer but what I have found to work really well for me is my sunscreen. Once applied it creates a barrier between my skincare products and my cosmetics. Th finish looks very nice and smooth and my foundation stays looking good all day. I use Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Liquid. Sometimes it can feel a little tacky after application so I just blot my face a bit with a tissue then apply my foundation afterwards.  Gotta wear sunscreen anyhow so why not 'kill two birds'.Woman Wink

@SilleeMee  👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Tried Laura G's when first came out - terrible - too heavy - pancake type.  Then got another in her kit...........threw it out.  What works for me - I use Revlon liquid makeup (a medium tan color) but first.........apply a thin coat of Revlon same makeup but in a tad lighter shade.  First application covers or diminishes imperfections and med tan seals it.  Both are thin in substance - almost water like. 

@fthunt  That’s a new one.... even for me.

Honored Contributor

@mollymaggie   I thought I needed a primer when they first came out with it.  Another product to get your money.  I have not used a primer in a couple years and my makeup lasts a long time.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I have tried several primers since they became a thing.  I do the half face test with primer on one side and not the other.  Never been able to see any difference at end of day.  If you use a moisturizer it seems most of them have silicones so why add more silicone which is usually what most primers contain.  I think a lot depends on the foundation you use whether or not the foundation lasts and your type of skin. Also I feel all those steps would just smother my poor skin....toner, serum, moisturizer, primer, foundation, powder, bronzer, blush, highlighter..................

Honored Contributor

I like to use a primer because it helps to smooth and fill in large pores on my very oily skin. I am using ELF poreless primer with a slight pink tint (they have a few versions). Other primers I tried were too heavy and caused breakouts, but the ELF primer is very light and has not caused any breakouts. 

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

It's personal preference - I use a primer in spring/summer because I have very oily skin.  If I don't use an oil-control primer, my face gets greasy and my foundation slides off in a couple hours.  If you have dry or normal skin, your foundation may stay on better without a primer.  There are primers for different skin needs.  I use different primers with different foundations because some primer-foundation combos work well, and others don't.  It's all trial and error.

My "desert island" primer is Mally's Perfect Prep Neutralizing primer.  It doesn't control oil as well as some, but it camoflages rosacea, redness, blotches, acne scars, etc.  On lazy days I wear it alone instead of foundation.  

I ❤️ Mally’s Perfect Prep Neutralizing Primer! My 20 year old daughter loves it too!

Valued Contributor

Laura Mercier makes a great primer. Sometimes thats all I put on my face for the day. Her tinted moisturer is good too.

Respected Contributor

There are many opinions whether primers are necessary. Many makeup artists will claim that they are unnecesarry. For me it is just another layer of hydration. My skin is dry and I find that it helps give me hydration and a nice glow. Currently I am using Becca Backlight Filter Primer and it gives the skin a luminous appearance. My makeup wears well but since I rarely go without a primer, I can't say if it adds life to my makeup or not.

Super Contributor

I have tried different primers and can't use any of them.  They all seem to have Dimethicone (Silicone)  wreaks havoc on my skin.  I only use Olay sensitive skin sunscreen.  I wore Makeup my whole life.  Felt naked without it.  As I am getting older I seem to develop more an more quite serious allergies.  Eye Makeup is totally out of the question now.  Every time I use it I get blepharitis or styes.  Tried different brands and nothing works anymore.  So I am getting used to going "naked".  Saves a lot of money.