Respected Contributor

i have j

ust finished a round of chemo (with excellent results) and will be transitioning to immunotherapy infusions only starting next week.  yay!

unfortunately, the chemo has wreaked havoc on my poor skin.  the skin on my body (along with my hair) is actually 'shedding' ... and i expect that to continue due to the immunotherapy.  

i do realize that i have aged in appearance in the last few months, and that's to be expected.  however, my facial skin looks worse than i have ever seen it.  the only way i can describe it is that it looks severly aged, kinda ruddy and blotchy.  i do not seem to be 'shedding' the facial skin. 

i have sensitive skin and have always stuck to cerave body wash, and also cerave facial wash and facial cream.  that's been it for me.  never really tried masks, exfolliating or any kinds of oils, etc., mainly because of the sensitivity issue.

i feel really ready to do something to help my face look a little healthier.   

any suggestions?  i know there is a skincare line specifically for cancer patients (can't remember the name) but i thought i would come here first because maybe one of you "experts"  might have valuable input.

thanks, ladies. 

Respected Contributor

Re: post chemo skincare HELP

Sorry I cant answer your question but I wanted to wish you continued success on your treatment.

Respected Contributor

Try Lindi Skin. A friend of mine has been using it on her journey and says it has helped tremendously. Fingers crossed!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

thank you! 

Super Contributor

Chemotherapy will do a number on your skin. Cerave is great, but whatever you choose, be sure it is ultra gentle. Good thoughts for your continued recovery. I am 8 years out from stem cell transplant with months of chemo and total body radiation. My skin will never be the same, but it has improved over the years. I use nothing but Cerave. 

Esteemed Contributor

@fancy pantsy Well kudos to you for a successful run!   I have spoken on here several times of being a breast cancer survivor having had surgery, chemo and radiation.  In my case the radiation wreaked more havoc than the chemo, however it all does harm to your skin.  Myself I have been using Beekman goatmilk products for years now.  I use the soap, moisturizers, oil and hair care.  It is pure with no harmful additives and for me it has worked great.   They actually just came out with a newer product that is called Wonder Milk.  It is supposed to be ultra moisturizing and can be used in place of Vaseline (which is an awful product).  I have not tried it yet but in my experience I bet it would help alot.

I wish you continued health and the best luck with your immunotherapy.

Honored Contributor

There is a skin care line called Derma E that is made without a lot of chemicals that some have that might work well for you if you know what to use and what to avoid--like some of the acids probably.

It is moderately priced and in lots of health food stores and Whole Foods I know.  It is a great place to order online--specials, try me kits and great quick shipping.

Trusted Contributor

Bless your heart for all you've been through Heart

Sorry I can't offer much as far as skin care, possibly check with your Dr.  Wishing you continued success with your treatment!

Contributor

As a long time hematology oncology Bmt RN I have seen the best results with the regular Cerave cream in the tub.  (Not the one with mineral oil!!)  It won't irritate skin, the ceramides keep skin moist for 24 hours and it has good "slip".  Meaning you don't have to scrub it into your skin.  Many Onc Doc's use eurcerine but it damages fragile skin in application. Works on face very well especially in the early days of your treatment.  Hang in there it's all worth it and you will get through.. Bless!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

After my own treatments, I used Cetaphil cleanser. It calms my skin and is soothing (I had a constant burning sensation). I stopped all "serums" as each one caused a different reaction. Be gentle with yourself and your skin. A gentle moisturizer is also helpful. I started using Aveeno. It's calming and doesn't clog pores. Be well and congratulations on your strength!