Super Contributor

I just watched a you tube video where a dermatologist went into cvs and shows the ingredient list of lots of popular products-she is very against over exfoliating and wants people to stop treating their skin like their stove top. lol. I actually can't do much exfoliating due to my age/skin type  but I have been against clairisonic and all those brushes as too harsh ( well, for me, if you like it-carry on) I also follow Caroline Hirons on youtube (who is hilarious )and she does not like the new trend of exfoliating to the max.

I remember when scrubs were introduced to the market. You were suppose to scrub once a week!

anyway the dr dray youtube video is very interesting and funny. do you think parisians and doctors sit around all day making new creams?lol 

Trusted Contributor

Re: over exfoliating your skin

I have often wondered about this myself.  The Clairisonic did not agree with my skin at all. I think Clinique was the first that I remember coming out with a scrub and it was for once a week.  After that all the companies started making and marketing theirs.  Every day seems excessive to me too and on some level be harmful to your dermis.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Share best kept secret "Plant Based Lifestyle" Clarisonic ordered returned to loud and after short time stopped working. Fast forward now my skin has never looked better including neck not only vegan removed, GMO's sugar salt chemicals gluton wheat and processed foods. I could go on about skin on our bodies think about it. Do recommend dry brushing the body proven to detoxify body. Lastly save money on skin careI, No longer suffer from dry skin. Power of plant based lifestyle benefits mind, body, soul, and the earth.🙋
Honored Contributor

Helena Rubenstein had a product called "Beauty Grains"...........that I remember as far back as the 1950's.   I've been exfoliating all my life.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I love my Clarisonic, but some years ago I saw a dermatologist (maybe on Oz or The Doctors) talk about it.  He showed that some people can use it and some are better off with the "old-fashioned" way -  a washcloth! 

I feel queasy when I see posters talk about using their machines twice every day and/or with grains or other exfoliating products.  When I first started using a Clarisonic, I pretty much followed what Dr. Rob (think that's his name) recommended which was once daily to remove the day's grime and make-up and never with anything but a gentle cleanser.  Also, no heavy pressure on the brush - just let the motion do the cleansing.

When I stop using my Clarisonic, it will be because I've gotten too lazy to spend even a minute cleansing or because my skin changes and no longer likes it.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Helena Rubenstein had a product called "Beauty Grains"...........that I remember as far back as the 1950's.   I've been exfoliating all my life.

@Desertdi  What a blast from the past!  I remember those being in our bathroom, but I don't know if they were my mom's or my sister's.  I'm picturing a tall white/cream colored cardboard can with a twisty top to pour the grains out.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I love my Clarisonic, but some years ago I saw a dermatologist (maybe on Oz or The Doctors) talk about it.  He showed that some people can use it and some are better off with the "old-fashioned" way -  a washcloth! 

I feel queasy when I see posters talk about using their machines twice every day and/or with grains or other exfoliating products.  When I first started using a Clarisonic, I pretty much followed what Dr. Rob (think that's his name) recommended which was once daily to remove the day's grime and make-up and never with anything but a gentle cleanser.  Also, no heavy pressure on the brush - just let the motion do the cleansing.

When I stop using my Clarisonic, it will be because I've gotten too lazy to spend even a minute cleansing or because my skin changes and no longer likes it.

@millieshops  I agree that I love my Clarisonic, but not w/ other exfoliants. The nights I use my Retin A, I don't use the Clarisonic.

I also remove my makeup first w/ an oil and then use a gentle cleanser (just changed to Cetafil after reading ingredients in Purity). Since my face is clear of makeup, I use gentle pressure & the gentle brush w/ Clarisonic.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember  buying a battery operated brush back in the 70's and it was recommended using it once a week.  It was not sonic but it did a pretty good job of exfoliating.  I've also used an apricot scrub that's pretty good.

Lately I've used a sugar scrub that I like but it almost feels like it's scratching my face (it isn't but feels sharp at first) and of course the sugar disipates as you rub it around.

Yes, I think you can definitely over exfoliate...

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Keep in mind that the exfoliating products of today aren't all equal to those that were offered when scrubs came to the market.  Some of those older products remain available today even though better ones came along.  It's like the saying, "when you know better, you do better".  Even so, some people still use the old scrubs with ground up walnut shells and apricot pits, even though it's been found that they aren't good for your skin because they create micro tears.  People will go for cheap products, saying they do the same thing or are just as good as...(insert brand) even though it's not always true.  Today there are many, many exfoliating product that don't create microtears in the skin so exfoliating and exfoliators, in general, can't be lumped together in one basket. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@donna71, I just watched this video yesterday from Dr. Dray. I really like her. Her videos are very informative. She has a ton of information of what to look for in a skin care product and what actually works and doesn't work. I'm thinking that once I use up my various serums in the next couple of months, I'm just going to do my Timeless Vit C serum in the am and my PTR retinol serum in the pm and just use my Cerave pm moisturizer both am and pm and see what happens. I want to simplify my routine and only use products/ingredients that are proven to work.