Honored Contributor

Re: o/t Living in a community with HOA's??

I was in a condo and it HOa covers all outside maintenance, the lawn, snow removal, pruning trees, planting new bushes or flowers, etc. and all common areas, hallways. Remember one thing -- your fee can go up every year. Mine did and most do. You need to find out if you can plant flowers or if you can have a small vegetable garden in the back yard. Get a list of questions together before you make an offer & sign on the bottom line.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

On 9/23/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:
On 9/23/2014 Linda129 said:

Thanks for the feedback. We are looking at houses on 1/2 acre to an acre lots. Some new - some not. Most of the HOA communities we have looked at do not have clubhouses or a common pool. Just landscaping. We are trying to avoid the all houses look the same ones. Husband has plenty of experience working with legal agreements and we would also have an attorney check over. Have had real estate agents tell us how "low-Key' and "no big deal" the HOA's are in the areas we have looked at homes. All it takes is one looney, bored, nosey neighbor to throw that out the window.

The one I lived in had the larger lots also. I think the smallest lot was 3/4 acre, and the homes did not look alike at all. There was no pool, clubhouse or any of that. Dues were $55.00 a year. No one came by and did landscaping. But they did have the rules in place for what kind of roof, paint, etc. you could use, restrictions on the number of horses you could have, restrictions on business run from the home, no leaving your garbage cans out. Nothing wrong with that.

So what did the $55 a year get you, other than restrictions? Did it cover snow removal (if that's an issue in your area) or anything like that?

Honored Contributor

We moved to Florida to a plan where the HOA just took over 1 1/2 yr ago. Before that the homes were still being built. Our HOA definitely has some major growing pains going on and we are very very unhappy with it. We NEED to live in a plan where we get our landscaping done as a part of our HOA fee because we snowbird and are away for 5 months at a time.Otherwise we would move in a nanosecond, despite that we love our house and our neighbors. Some of our new HOAs ridiculous rules : no more than 2 decorations outside for any holiday - including Christmas. You are not allowed to wear sunscreen in the pool ( it is in Florida for cripes sake). They actually told someone she is not allowed to have a party at her house unless she invites the entire plan. They told another woman she was not allowed to have a pampered chef party inside her house. The clubhouse - which we all paid for when we bought the house - now must be rented if we want to use it.We are not allowed to bring guests to the pool.No one is allowed to fish in the lake. It goes on & on & on. Our HOA president thinks he is the dictator - he is often heard saying "Now that I am in charge here" - he only got the job because no one else wanted it.My DH and a few others tried to run and oust the current board but the rules say no one who is not there for a minimum of 9 months can be on the board - so that eliminated about 90% of the residents who snowbird.

We pay $210 /month for HOA fees that include painting the outside of the house, replacing roofs , cable TV, landscape service and maintenance of the pool, clubhouse, gates, fountains and the private road.

if at all possible I recommend trying to move somewhere that does NOT have an HOA.

Valued Contributor

we have an HOA and have had to redo landscape twice in 10 yrs (at OUR EXPENSE) because "they" changed the plant choices. REALLY? The back yard, nothing can come above the fence unless it is an approved tree (no bushes, flowers, play structures or such) no bikes, scooters, skateboards on sidewalk, no being in the little "playground" park after dark, no yard sales, no open garage doors OR more than 5 cars parked in front or around (makes it sometimes hard to entertain) yards all look neat at all times (there is a guy who comes around with a microcope looking for weeds, no kidding!! he finds the smallest one, you have a note on your door giving you 12 hours to weed or face a fine) SO there is good things about them and bad. I appreciate them when I leave the development and see some of the unkept yards on the outside!!!

Honored Contributor

IMO - people who run for these boards want to control others and this is a way for them to do so. The more they can control the happier they are. Our Board wanted to make everyone pay $800 to remove an oak tree that was planted in each home's front yard by the builder. At least My DH was able to find out that it is the law in sarasota county that a certain % of the plantings must be hard woods. Can't people understand that these trees will get tall and provide shade on your roof eventually.

Respected Contributor

On 9/23/2014 WenGirl42 said:

Thanks for the feedback. We are looking at houses on 1/2 acre to an acre lots. Some new - some not. Most of the HOA communities we have looked at do not have clubhouses or a common pool. Just landscaping. We are trying to avoid the all houses look the same ones. Husband has plenty of experience working with legal agreements and we would also have an attorney check over. Have had real estate agents tell us how "low-Key' and "no big deal" the HOA's are in the areas we have looked at homes. All it takes is one looney, bored, nosey neighbor to throw that out the window.

The one I lived in had the larger lots also. I think the smallest lot was 3/4 acre, and the homes did not look alike at all. There was no pool, clubhouse or any of that. Dues were $55.00 a year. No one came by and did landscaping. But they did have the rules in place for what kind of roof, paint, etc. you could use, restrictions on the number of horses you could have, restrictions on business run from the home, no leaving your garbage cans out. Nothing wrong with that.

So what did the $55 a year get you, other than restrictions? Did it cover snow removal (if that's an issue in your area) or anything like that?

We live in Western Washington so not a lot of snow to be removed, and the county would do that anyhow (though I'm sure we'd be last on the list). The dues basically just said you agreed not to be a pig and let your property become an eyesore, and they maintained the entrance sign and landscaping. It was actually one of the most desired neighborhoods in the area. I liked it because the homes were spread out and private. It was so worth it to us to live there and pay that small fee. Hmmm.... maybe it was $55 a month. Either way, it wasn't a lot of money.

Now, when I bought a townhome my dues were $125 a month. We had beautiful grounds and a tennis court but no pool or anything. So we paid for the outside building maintenance and grounds upkeep.

Valued Contributor

I think the WORST thing is that the rules and fees can change at any time (something we really didn"t relize when we bought) When we bought, we COULD have the swingset up, 2 yrs later we couldn"t, as it went above the back fence. When we bought, we COULD have a patch of grass in the front, 1 yr later, had to switch to all gravel, When we bought, we could have Halloween/other holiday lights up if you wanted, now only Christmas lights across the front. Do not want to sell and move but GEESH, wish they would make up their minds. we pay 150/month for "development upkeep"

Respected Contributor

On 9/23/2014 WenGirl42 said:

We live in Western Washington so not a lot of snow to be removed, and the county would do that anyhow (though I'm sure we'd be last on the list). The dues basically just said you agreed not to be a pig and let your property become an eyesore, and they maintained the entrance sign and landscaping. It was actually one of the most desired neighborhoods in the area. I liked it because the homes were spread out and private. It was so worth it to us to live there and pay that small fee. Hmmm.... maybe it was $55 a month. Either way, it wasn't a lot of money.

Now, when I bought a townhome my dues were $125 a month. We had beautiful grounds and a tennis court but no pool or anything. So we paid for the outside building maintenance and grounds upkeep.

Sounds like a very nice place Smile Just seems weird to me to pay dues to live under restrictions like that if you're not getting something in return, although the sign landscape and maintenance is something I suppose. And the peace of mind to know your neighbors can't lower your property values by living like trash would be worth $55 a year to me. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Respected Contributor

Have always lived with some form on an HOA, and would never want to not have one..I like yards that for the most part are kept up, and not having tons of vehicles, odd structures, etc..worth every dime....

Super Contributor

On 9/23/2014 kivah said:

I would avoid any complex with HOA fees. There are also many crooks on the board - and money disappears. They control you.

I SO agree! I lived in Pacific Tower in Tacoma, Washington. The president of our HOA would constantly monitor the cams in the elevators and common areas. God help you purchase a small table on Craigslist...you need two weeks advance notice to carry it up an elevator.

Happiest day of my life when I left that concentration camp of a condo building.

DO NOT DO IT!