Occasional Contributor

I am looking to start using WEN hair products. They are a little pricey but seem to be fabulous and worth it. My question is where do I begin.? I will be purchasing a little at a time just need a beginning.

Honored Contributor

Re: new user starter questions

Too bad its after Christmas. Their Christmas promotion of five flavors is the way to go for newbies, IMHO. Price per ounce is the best they offer without going to the gallon size and you get to sample five varieties.

Honored Contributor

Too bad its after Christmas. Their Christmas promotion of five flavors is the way to go for newbies, IMHO. Price per ounce is the best they offer without going to the gallon size and you get to sample five varieties. Type Wen discovery in search box and you will get a current 3 flavor set, pricey per ounce, but its a start.

Honored Contributor

If I were you, I would start with the variety set of travel packets. Item A222871. (<- I hyperlinked that, but you can't tell. Click the item number to open it.) It includes at least one of each core formula, including the soy-based Pom formula. You'll get to try each one and determine which formula works best for you, which scent you like best, and if you like it at all. It's expensive to buy one whole bottle and find it doesn't work, return it and buy another, repeat until you find one you like. This lets you try them all.

If you try a few and don't get good results, watch some of the videos for the products here or on YouTube. (WEN has a YouTube channel) You can also watch a WEN 2-hour show, where Chaz does demos. He also encourages people with questions or trouble to call the company- the number should be on the back of every package of WEN - and ask questions. You can also come here and get info and advice.

I would just start there and then, if you like it, branch out to some of the other products.

Respected Contributor

I agree with what ChynnaBlue said! I made my first purchase a few months ago after watching MANY presentations, and reading most of the posts on this forum. The only products I'm using are the cleansing conditioner and styling crème.

Super Contributor

I think there is also a variety pack of 6-ounce bottles? I'm sure I saw that on the Q, too. That's also a good way to try. I know it took me about three cleansings to actually get the process down and start seeing results, so I'm not sure I'd personally be able to figure out what I liked from the travel packs.

To the OP, don't feel bad about missing the Xmas sale. I'm fairly new to WEN. I bought the five-bottle seasonal package when it was on sale, but I haven't been using them much (and I'm sort of not really wanting to "love" something that is only available for a short period of time, since the seasonals will change on an annual basis). I think it's probably better to start with the core formulas, find what works for you, and work out from there. I've been using mostly Tea Tree and 613, both of which I LOVE! I believe the Q sells a variety of different groupings with the core formulas. (LOL, I'm not even sure if 613 is considered a core formula...)

Frequent Contributor

All you need is cleansing conditioner to start. In fact, that's all I use at all. I dont use any of the other products. Still AMAZING, noticeable results. I'd pick one of the universal formulations to start. Bamboo Green Tea is my favorite. You could also try Sweet Almond or Pomegranate.

Honored Contributor

I'd go with A219409

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

On 1/7/2014 glitzandglam said:

I think there is also a variety pack of 6-ounce bottles? I'm sure I saw that on the Q, too. That's also a good way to try. I know it took me about three cleansings to actually get the process down and start seeing results, so I'm not sure I'd personally be able to figure out what I liked from the travel packs.

To the OP, don't feel bad about missing the Xmas sale. I'm fairly new to WEN. I bought the five-bottle seasonal package when it was on sale, but I haven't been using them much (and I'm sort of not really wanting to "love" something that is only available for a short period of time, since the seasonals will change on an annual basis). I think it's probably better to start with the core formulas, find what works for you, and work out from there. I've been using mostly Tea Tree and 613, both of which I LOVE! I believe the Q sells a variety of different groupings with the core formulas. (LOL, I'm not even sure if 613 is considered a core formula...)

I agree with the bottles. It's more expensive, true, but you can get more than one cleanse out of each bottle, and it's easier (IMO) to make sure you know how much you should be using and to make sure you're using the proper amount if you are pumping it out of the bottles vs squeezing it out of the packets. The packets are nice as a single-use option too, though, for most people (use about half for a first cleanse, almost all the rest for a 2nd, and save a bit to use as a leave-in conditioner). But that depends on how long your hair is, how thick, and what its texture is. I use the equivalent of about 1.5 packets each time I wash my hair, but I know I'm at the high end of the CC use spectrum because my hair is long, very thick and very coarse and dry.

I only need the CC (cleansing conditioner) to keep my hair lovely. I am using a few of the other treatment products because I like what they're adding, but they aren't necessary. I don't use any WEN styling products (I do use a non-WEN styling gel for curl definition and hold though). I would say the majority of people can get by with just the CC, and the only other product I might recommend is the Styling Creme (SC). I don't use it or need it, but a lot of people do, as a heat protectant and to smooth the hair and add shine.

Honored Contributor

On 1/7/2014 WenGirl42 said: ... I would say the majority of people can get by with just the CC, and the only other product I might recommend is the Styling Creme (SC). I don't use it or need it, but a lot of people do, as a heat protectant and to smooth the hair and add shine.

Chaz makes a really big deal of this, but almost every styling product is a heat protectant. Dimethicone is a heat protectant and is in most styling products. If it's not, another silicone probably is and that also acts as a heat protectant. Since I try to avoid most silicones, I can tell you that it's very difficult to find a good styling product without them.

Even the WEN glossing serum alone is full of silicones and using it means you don't need the styling cream if you're only using it for heat protection.

You can read more about silicones and heat protection here: http://confessionsofablogvixen.com/2011/07/how-to-prevent-heat-damage-when-flat-ironing-natural-hair...