Respected Contributor

need recs to bring back the shine in my hair

when I was young my auburn hair was naturally very glossy and shiny. as I got older and started coloring my hair it was shiny. now that I've stopped coloring it's lost the shine.

I'm very happy with my color now, which is gray/silver/charcoal/brown with a hint of my natural auburn, but I do miss the shine.

I use a purple Aveda shampoo that is supposed to enhance the silver and I like it, but I want more shine.

any advice for products that would make my hair shine again without making it feel oily and heavy?

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

Re: need recs to bring back the shine in my hair

Fekkai Glossing Cream.  You just use a pea size amount.  In my case it just makes my hair look healthy with a minimal amount of shine.  If you use too much you will have "doll hair."  Available at Target (in the old days, not sure about now), I get mine on ebay.  I think they have a website, also used in my past.  I got hooked on this when QVC briefly carried his line.  

Honored Contributor

I find that my hair gets dull if I don't use a cleansing shampoo that  get out all the build- up of stuff' that I use on my hair. I use it about 1x a month. Lots out there to choose, I use Neutragena. 

Valued Contributor

When I get my hair colored  my hair dresser finishes with a shine product that lasts about the same lenght of time as my color.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with wagirl that Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo thoroughly cleans any product buildup if that's the cause of lack of shine. But there are also a variety of shine sprays on the market to use after shampooing/conditioning if you need it.

Honored Contributor

When I want to boost the shine in my hair then I use this treatment mask. You put it on damp, clean hair and apply medium heat (like under a dryer bonnet or cap) or just leave it on for an hour then shampoo it out. The gel comes in a variety of tints as well as a clear colorless one. Some use it to revitalize their hair coloring. The treatment leaves incredible shine and manageability. The best part is that the treatment lasts for 2 to 3 weeks depending on how often you wash your hair. The tube of gel is big...over 10 oz and costs around  $15. The tube lasts me thru several treatments and I have long hair.

Sebastian Cellophanes  $15

727e7627-bc4a-495d-98c3-a11a942af896_1.02c0d124127c356cbce3c6df5b8c2578.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee, if you dont mind, where do you get the Sebastian product? 

Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

@SilleeMee, if you dont mind, where do you get the Sebastian product? 

I ordered it from Walmart dot com @pupwhipped 

Honored Contributor

Once again @SilleeMee  to the rescue.  Do you use this after you color your hair (if you do) or between color treatments?

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Once again @SilleeMee  to the rescue.  Do you use this after you color your hair (if you do) or between color treatments?

@phoenixbrd 

I don't color my hair. But sometimes it gets a little dry and dull, probably because my hair is aging like the rest of me.Woman Happy and needs help every once and a while. I especially like to use the Sebastian Cellophanes just before I have a special place to go or just when I want my hair to look really nice and healthy. It brings back that youthful bounce and shine to my hair.