Honored Contributor

Re: need recommendations for box hair color

@lucky-girl   When I colored my hair, I used Natural Instincts non ammonia.  It last just as long as a permanent hair color with no damage to the hair.  Permanent color dries the hair.  

kindness is strength
Contributor

I use Madison Reed which I purchase on line.  Very gentle on hair, great grey coverage.

Honored Contributor

I used L'Oreal Excellence for years until I needed to turn it over to professionals.  I also used some of the natural brands.

If the color isn't lasting for you, it might be your shampoo that's stripping it.  You might need to use something that doesn't strip color as well as protectants if you blow dry and flat iron your hair.  These all destroy your color.

There are a lot of blogs and Youtube videos out there that will help you get a professional look at home, and it starts with using more than one color.  

I would buy two colors, close in color, and use the darker one on the roots and the lighter on the ends.  As your roots grow out, you will have different shades and it gives it a lot of dimension and it looks like you have natural subtle highlights.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Been using Revlon Colorsilk to cover the grey - followed by Wen.  I'm brunette and use Light Golden Brown.  Works great for me.

Trusted Contributor

you may want to try a poduct called grey magic.  you add it to to mixed hair color and then leave the hair color on your hair for 45 minutes rather then 30.  this will elp it take a bit better

Contributor

I agree about Madison Reed.

There is a Madison Reed salon in NYC which I have gone to for help to even out multiple  shades of brown in my hair.  I now do my own color with their product.

It is cost effective for me, as I am able to use one box for two root treatments. And I like that the color product is free of many chemicals that I would prefer to stay away from.

Whichever brand you choose to go with, there is alot of good information on the Madison Reed website re coloring your hair.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I am DONE with box hair coloring---did a color last October---bought my normal color to color some old, outgrown  highlights-----when I was done---I had fire engine red hair--not the med brown the box said on the front or on the bottle-----what a horrnedous mess---it was the kind that washes out in 28 washes too and that I've used before for the same thing. I didnt have time to get it fixed as I was leaving on vaca in a couple days. Lesson learned--dont color just before an event and don't color at home EVER again!!!!

Honored Contributor

Revlon Colorsilk for me for the last 20 years, only 2.68 at Walmart, and ammonia free, but permanent