Super Contributor

need eye shadow recommendation QVC or otherwise

Good morning:  I am looking to purchase a new eyeshadow and am overwhelmed by all the choices.  I am in my late  60's with blue eyes, blonde hair and a peachy complexion.  If you have one that you can recommend I would love to hear from you.  I don't want to spend alot on shadow as I don't wear it all the time.  Thanks in advance

Honored Contributor

Re: need eye shadow recommendation QVC or otherwise

@gellen wrote:

Good morning:  I am looking to purchase a new eyeshadow and am overwhelmed by all the choices.  I am in my late  60's with blue eyes, blonde hair and a peachy complexion.  If you have one that you can recommend I would love to hear from you.  I don't want to spend alot on shadow as I don't wear it all the time.  Thanks in advance

To narrow things down for you a bit, generally speaking, if you look at a color wheel, the colors opposite your eye color are usually the most flattering.  For blue eyes, you would look for browns, taupes, beiges. apricots, and pumpkin shade.  However, there are no hard and fast rules in makeup so if you like other colors, go for it.  I have your same coloring and I still wear blues, purples, greys, raspberries, in addition to the more neutral tones..  

@Katcat1recently mentioned a sale on the Stila Cosmetics site.  Maybe they'll have something that suits you.

Valued Contributor

Dash into Ulta and have one of the make up artists help you.  They’ll try different palettes  and can recommend different brands.  They can also show you some tips for women our age.  There are quite a few brands out and you don’t have to spend a ton of money.  

Have fun with it.

Honored Contributor

@gellen wrote:

wet n wild has some great basic palettes and price is great,  

Esteemed Contributor

@gellen  You mention not wanting to spend a lot of money on the eyeshadow, but I do think you would be best served at a prestige brand counter.  You don't have to invest in a lot of shades and can probably get by with 2 or 3 colors.  Bobi Brown Cosmetics sells a great shade range of individual colors and I highly recommend this for you.  Palettes are wonderful for those who play with many eyeshadows (colors and finishes), but sounds like you want to keep this simple.  Bobbi Brown powder shadows are $28 a piece, but it's money well spent for someone who doesn't want to have a lot of options in their makeup case. 

That said if you really do want to keep your cost down you may find that the NYX brand is a suitable substitute.  Ulta stores generally have a decent selection of NYX colors and I'm sure other drugstores and perhaps Target do as well.  The regular price is only $4.50 each, and they are frequently on some kind of promotion pricing (such as buy 2 get 1 free). 

Respected Contributor

@gellen  Shadow color choices depend on more than just the color of your eyes, skin and hair.  In my case, my eyes are deep set and the area around them (both above and below) has gotten darker and redder as I've aged (I have very transparent skin).  I have to use a lid primer and a brightener under my eyes to lighten them before I even think about applying shadow color, and my shadows have to be light and bright (no frosts for older eyes).

If on the other hand, you have more protruding eyes or puffiness above your eyes, with little to no darkening, your shadow options are increased.  You may wish to choose darker colors that will add some depth to your eyes.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

This is my Favorite.  I use the dark shades on the right as eye liner.  Color lasts all day.  I' got this when IT had a big sale here months ago.  HTH.  

IT Cosmetics Superhero Luxe Anti-Aging Eyeshadow Palette w/Brush - A287162

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Valued Contributor

Maybelline tattoo

Respected Contributor

@gellenKeep it simple. I am loving eye shadow crayons. I apply the color to my lid & then fade it up into the crease.

It is easy & fast & gives me a polished look.Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks are my favorite, but Bobbi Brown & Nudestix are nice, too.

I prefer the soft shimmer (Not matte. Not metallic.) on my eyes. 

Sandglow by LM is really pretty & easy to wear. I use the Cocoa Caviar Stick with an angled brush as a liner & then fill in my brows with what is left on the brush from that!

Cocoa & Plum are perfect liners. Very soft & smooth to apply, but once they set they don't fade or smear.

Honored Contributor

I use an eyeshadow base to keep the shadow from settling into my crease.  The base also keeps tbase true.

My preference is Revlon Siren.  It's a true taupe.