Esteemed Contributor

need Recommendations for Gray hair Shampoo & Conditioner

DH stopped dying his hair. 

He's looking for shampoo & conditioner for gray hair.

any recommendations?

Thank You

Valued Contributor

Re: need Recommendations for Gray hair Shampoo & Conditioner

My friend uses Clairol Shimmer Lights.  She has been grey since she was in her twenties and her hair always looks shiny and has no yellowing.

Regular Contributor

Jhirmack Silver Brightening Ageless Shampoo or Clairol Shimmer Lights, I have used both and they work really well. 

Regular Contributor

I have used all of the brands mentioned and like them all.My all time time favorite is  Suave Moroccon Infusion shampoo and the conditioner...you can find most anywhere...when I use this my hair is so white and my daughter tells me all the time MOM don't use the other shampoos.When my hair starts to look alittle  off white I use SHIMMER LIGHTS  but it can make the hair have a blue tinge.....as a hair dresser I  always felt I had to have the blue shampoos but love SUAVE.....Thanks to the person who told us on the BEAUTY THREAD  about the shampoo.

Honored Contributor

@pattiewaddle First, I love your nickname here! I had a friend named Patty and I called her patty-waddy-woo when we were kidding around and I was the only one who got to call her that.

I LOVE Suave and have used different formulas for 20 years and will never use anything else!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mary Bailey   Actually unless Hubby is using a blow dryer or hot tools or you have minerals in your water that's turning his hair yellow, no special s&c is required. 

The purple shampoo is just for grey hair that's turned yellow. Any drugstore purple shampoo will take care of that. The most important product to use for grey hair is conditioner. It can be dry and needs more conditioner than he's used to. 

If purple shampoo is used, only leave it on for the time it takes to wash the hair. Left on too long, the hair takes on bluish tint. Not a good look.

Super Contributor

Clairol shimmer lights can be quite drying but it does work. I use a new one by Redken called Gradient that is not so harsh. with the matching conditioner. I als like the Klorane one calledcentuary. Not all purple shampoos have toner in them, you can ask at Ulta or Sally's when they open,

also there is a L'oreal Professional for men purple shampoo that I bought at a salon. I think it might be hard to find.

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey  Shikai has a wonderful shampoo for gray hair (I own it).  No need for conditioner unless you have very thick hair).  

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I've used both the Jhirmack and Clairol Shimmer Lights - both work very well for me.  A bottle will last forever because I only use a purple shampoo about once a month.    I've heard that if you use a purple shampoo every time you shampoo, your hair will turn purple.  I don't know if that's true, but I'll stick to my once-a-month routine.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@Mary Bailey  As @Shanus said, unless your DH's hair is yellowing, he doesn't need anything special. I have gray hair and use Tresemme products with wonderful results.

I did try the Clairol Shimmer Lights when I 1st went gray...that stuff stained my fingernails, and I never noticed any difference in my hair.