Respected Contributor

near infrared light therapy question

So I am very interested in finding the right device/devices that utilizes near infrared for the eye area specifically.  Of course I'd be interested in one for the whole face, neck, chest (whole body too!), but for now I'm wondering what my best bet is.  I notice some has very short sessions, maybe 3 minutes.  Others have longer sessions 10 - 20 minutes.  Not sure what that indicates about what's being offered.

I'm having a hard time finding something specifically fo the eye area - but Dr. Gross offers one which is called spectralite (there's one for the full face and one just for the eyes).  I found another eye one - vanity planet red led eye glasses - don't know if it's infrared or near infrared or just led.  But then, maybe led is all I need?  I have not seen any other eye specific light devices - if anyone has, I would love to hear about it.   Or should I go another way like with one of those red light infrared squares and have it treat my whole face including the eyes?  Thoughts?

I seem to recall reading here that many don't think it's a good idea to use other color lights at the same time, same session time frame as the red?

Oh, also found another face mask being offered by the person who trains people in facial yoga (found her on youtube)  She may be the founder of facial yoga the program that people do.  She is selling those hard masks and this one has the near infrared and the option too for the other lights.  Pretty good price too.  I think hers is a 10 minute mask.  She inidcated you can remove the eye block part, which is what she does herself.

I know many of you purchased the soft, bendable silicone like mask.  Why is that better than the hard one?  And some indicated that they can make that one have contact with the facial skin.  why would that be better than just being a little space above the skin?

Thanks for any help or assistance or guidance you can give.  I feel confused!

Honored Contributor

Re: near infrared light therapy question

Some of the RLT eye masks have not yet gotten FDA clearance so those would be hard to find. CurrentBody's Eye Perfector mask is not availible to the US market yet either. That would be my choice.

You'd be better off using a full-face mask. Most all of them treat the crows feet and under-eye areas. No RLT devices treat the upper lids. 

As for the multiple colored LEDs offered in some devices...it's best to just stick to the red variety b/c that's mostly used for antiaging. The other, blue or green, are mainly for skin issues revolving around acne and rosacea...if you need that treated then you might need those colors. The red LEDs to look for include red, deep red and also (invisible) near infrared varieties. Some devices include amber which do not go as deep as the red ones. Amber (orange) is mostly used for superficial redness/inflammation.

Flexible masks give a better fit against the face and will provide your skin with better illumination. As with any light source, distance makes a difference with illumination which is important to get the best treatment. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  Thanks for the reply.  I'm not sure why, but I'm having difficulty with my comprehension of this topic.  sheesh.  I'm going to study some more youtube videos and probably come back with more questions - hope that's ok Smiley Happy

I do have other issues I would like to address with the lights, but getting the near infrared is the real interest for me.  For the eyes, I really am ok with my upper lids at this point -  but the rest could use support and rejuvination.

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars 

Sometimes a visual aid can help understand certain things. This one here might help you:

LED Light Therapy | Just Breathe - Urban Skin Bar

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

I'm sure I've seen charts like this but thanks for the confirmation that I'm on the right track with the rlt and near infrared.  I've missed a couple of days.  Have you gotten to the point where you're using it fewer times/week?  How long have we been using rlt?  I started 10 days after you.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm 

I'm using my mask once daily, 7 days a week. I use the Lip Perfector twice daily, 7 days a week. Been doing that for weeks. Skin looks good. Not sure about the lips though. I really expected more with that one by now. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Thanks.  Between my knee pain and new dog, I've been a little lax about using my mask every day.  I sometimes do 2 10 min sessions back to back.  I don't have the lip device.  Do you not think the lights on the mask between your upper lip and nose do any good are you targeting your actual lips?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm 

The lip device has lights that shine all around the mouth area including the lips, above and below the lips plus a little bit on the NL lines. The LEDs are different wavelengths from the ones used on the mask.

CurrentBody Skin LED Lip Perfector | CurrentBody

Respected Contributor

I think @SilleeMee 's visual helps show the differences in the light frequencies.  I use my Omnilux mask daily and Revive lip device daily.  I have now added the Trophy Skinn free standing rlt pad device and use it daily as well on my neck/dec and hands.  I like the results I get from the rlt.  The lip device does provide light to the lips so it is different than what you  get with the mask.     Omnilux makes a mask that has blue lights to address issues such as acne but I don't have that one.  Dr. Gross has one too in addition to his eye rlt mask.  I didn't consider the eye mask since i bought a face mask that treats the surrounding eye area.

I like routines so I stick to mine.  I am paring down the products I use on my skin so this works well for me.  It is hard to avoid the hype and the impulse to try something new..........

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.