Esteemed Contributor

Re: nail that splits vertically....

@Drythe wrote:

I kept silk wraps on one of mine until it grew out.  Every year or so It misbehaves, and I have it wrapped again.

Also Trind,  NailTek - Ridge Filler.

@Drythe wrote:

I kept silk wraps on one of mine until it grew out.  Every year or so It misbehaves, and I have it wrapped again.

@Drythe @Can I ask where do you get the silk wraps ?   I have cut up and used the outer tea bag in the last then use glue to stick to the break and allow it to grow out.   Are silk wraps used for nails ?

Esteemed Contributor

My left hand pinkie finger nail split vertically for about a year. I finally gave up nail polish and kept my nails short...made sure I took my calcium supplement every day, and consistently used nail strengthening oil. Eventually the splitting stopped. Honestly, I can't imagine using gorilla glue on my nails!

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Drythe @Can I ask where do you get the silk wraps ?   I have cut up and used the outer tea bag in the last then use glue to stick to the break and allow it to grow out.   Are silk wraps used for nails ?

@Kitty Galore 

How creative to make your own with tea bags!  Never thought of that.  I have made my own silk wrap for a split nail using your tea bag technique and a piece of silk cut to shape.

But, the most successful ones I’ve had were done by a nail professional in a shop.  You may have to ask for them, sometimes it’s not listed on the service menu.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@lulu1 wrote:

My "wedding ring" fingernail has split vertically for years.  No product helps it; I've given up.  I keep it short and put a false nail over it to match the length of my other nails.

@lulu1 The wedding ring finger is the finger that splits on me as well !   When you say "false " nail do you mean a gel nail ?

@Kitty Galore 

I buy cheap, clear, acryllic full nails.  You can use press on tabs but I prefer nail glue.  I know this nail will never be normal so cut it as short as possible, then replace with the false nail, every time I do a manicure.  Occasionally I will replace a broken nail with a false nail.

At one time I used a tip but that required filing the top of the nail to smooth out the "bump." A full nail is so much easier.  Before the pandemic, I had a professional manicure every 2 weeks.  I haven't had a professional one in almost 14 months.  For awhile, I cut off all my nails and used Static Nails. I decided I prefer the cheap nails as Static Nails were rather thick.

Valued Contributor

I have a nail on each had that splits.  It helps very much if I wear gloves when I do dishes or wet cleaning after I manicure.

The two products I ♥ love and have saved my nails are ♥ Duri Rejuvacote #2 - 'for dying nails to nails to die for' is on the bottle. I guess it is part of a System but I have only every used the #2 and it works very well to seal my nails. Three coats look like a pro Mani and wears over a week - week and a half. I start with two coats, drying in between coats.  Then a manicurist shared with me in the past, a nail oil, fast drying product called ♥ Delore Nails.  Nails dry fast and then you can massage il into your fingers and hands. Delore Nails was written about and said to be used by professional guitarists several years ago. 

I have hunted for both locally but found them easily on  e bay.  Both make great gifts for girlfriends. 

I like to cut my nails short and flat across the top (it helps the splitting) and use old fashioned (chalky) pencil nail whitening pencil under the nail (which I can't find any longer).  I've tried some off brands but they are like waxy similar to a kid's crayon. Does anyone know of a source for a whitening pencil?

Honored Contributor

@CaChica wrote:

I have a nail on each had that splits.  It helps very much if I wear gloves when I do dishes or wet cleaning after I manicure.

The two products I ♥ love and have saved my nails are ♥ Duri Rejuvacote #2 - 'for dying nails to nails to die for' is on the bottle. I guess it is part of a System but I have only every used the #2 and it works very well to seal my nails. Three coats look like a pro Mani and wears over a week - week and a half. I start with two coats, drying in between coats.  Then a manicurist shared with me in the past, a nail oil, fast drying product called ♥ Delore Nails.  Nails dry fast and then you can massage il into your fingers and hands. Delore Nails was written about and said to be used by professional guitarists several years ago. 

I have hunted for both locally but found them easily on  e bay.  Both make great gifts for girlfriends. 

I like to cut my nails short and flat across the top (it helps the splitting) and use old fashioned (chalky) pencil nail whitening pencil under the nail (which I can't find any longer).  I've tried some off brands but they are like waxy similar to a kid's crayon. Does anyone know of a source for a whitening pencil?

Probably find  whitening pencil at Sallys or ebay or amazon. I like Duri Rejuvacote 2 also, often use it as a base coat. 

Valued Contributor

Thanks!  I'll check it out.

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Kitty Galore 

How creative to make your own with tea bags!  Never thought of that.  I have made my own silk wrap for a split nail using your tea bag technique and a piece of silk cut to shape.

But, the most successful ones I’ve had were done by a nail professional in a shop.  You may have to ask for them, sometimes it’s not listed on the service menu.

@Drythe wrote:

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Kitty Galore 

@Drythe   thank you !  I will check with some of the salons in my area .  I rarely go to a salon I do my own medi/pedis.      

The tea bag can be tricky but if you get it on just right it works great !    It will stay on and let the nail grow out ,   I cover it with crazy glue or sometimes nail glue if I can find it .

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

My left hand pinkie finger nail split vertically for about a year. I finally gave up nail polish and kept my nails short...made sure I took my calcium supplement every day, and consistently used nail strengthening oil. Eventually the splitting stopped. Honestly, I can't imagine using gorilla glue on my nails!

@jannabelle1  The gorilla glue or crazy glue just grows out with the nail ,  plus I only apply it to the very end of the nail after I file the split away . My nail still has length it is not filed down to the tip of my finger !!  I wear my nails long so even with the split I have length still .  It doesnt hurt anything nails dont feel pain,    if they did when you cut them you would feel pain !   😏

Esteemed Contributor

@CaChica wrote:

@CaChica I'm going to look into both of these products !   They sound Amazing!😺