Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 35,794
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Re: nail that splits vertically....


@ECBG wrote:

I wouldn't cut a nail that splits, only file it.  Cutting encourages a break at the most delicate part of the nail.


 

 

 

@ECBG 

I do have to cut mine but then I use a crystal nail file and that seals the nail's edge so it doesn't split any further. Crystal nail files are the best.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 28,888
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: nail that splits vertically....

I also recommend Sally Hansen 7 in 1 or I would try the Nail Aid product in the clear, that one is 9 in 1. both are good ingredients without the unhealthy chemicals. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,237
Registered: ‎03-29-2011

Re: nail that splits vertically....

My "wedding ring" fingernail has split vertically for years.  No product helps it; I've given up.  I keep it short and put a false nail over it to match the length of my other nails.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,775
Registered: ‎07-09-2011

Re: nail that splits vertically....

I kept silk wraps on one of mine until it grew out.  Every year or so It misbehaves, and I have it wrapped again.

 

Also Trind,  NailTek - Ridge Filler.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,053
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: nail that splits vertically....

I have this problem with a toenail, the nail on my little toe.  It's been this way for the past 20 years or so, and sometimes the nail splits or bends from friction on my socks or shoes.  I didn't think there was anything I could do for it.

 

Then a couple of years ago I started to get some kind of nail fungus (Uck) on my two big toes and I started treating them (religiously) with over the counter anti-fungal medication.  I would also hit that little toe with it as well, and it seems to have made the nail healthier but it still has a verticle ridge.

 

I didn't know this could happen frequently with finger nails as well. 

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,654
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: nail that splits vertically....


@SilleeMee wrote:

I have a couple of nails like that...my thumb nails, both of them! I just keep using a nail filler product that I just found and it helps a lot. Seems to last long so I don't have to keep reapplying it. I apply two coats and the cracks are filled. The one I use has a hint of natural sheer pink color, very nice. No toxic stuff in it either. Found it online at Walmart for less than $4. There's a colorless one also.

 

Nail-Aid: 8-in-1 Nude Manicure – nailaidworks.com



@SilleeMee wrote:

I have a couple of nails like that...my thumb nails, both of them! I just keep using a nail filler product that I just found and it helps a lot. Seems to last long so I don't have to keep reapplying it. I apply two coats and the cracks are filled. The one I use has a hint of natural sheer pink color, very nice. No toxic stuff in it either. Found it online at Walmart for less than $4. There's a colorless one also.

 

Nail-Aid: 8-in-1 Nude Manicure – nailaidworks.com



@SilleeMee wrote:

I have a couple of nails like that...my thumb nails, both of them! I just keep using a nail filler product that I just found and it helps a lot. Seems to last long so I don't have to keep reapplying it. I apply two coats and the cracks are filled. The one I use has a hint of natural sheer pink color, very nice. No toxic stuff in it either. Found it online at Walmart for less than $4. There's a colorless one also.

 

Nail-Aid: 8-in-1 Nude Manicure – nailaidworks.com


@SilleeMee Sounds like something worth trying  😺

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,654
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: nail that splits vertically....


@Katcat1 wrote:

@Kitty Galore   Could it be dryness?  I think you should find a product that will strengthen, hydrate your nails and leave the nail polish off for a while to heal your current nails.


@Katcat1   Probably not as I do put cuticle cream and hand lotion often.   Btw love your nick !😺😺

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,592
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: nail that splits vertically....

Yes, I do have this.  Have had it for 30+ years.  If there has been permanent damage to the nail bed, it will never be normal.  I've tried just about everything mentioned here.

 

I usually wear gel nails, but take a break every few years and give it another try to see if there is a new product on the market that will work. 

I'm ready to go back to the gels.  The split nail gets caught on everything, which causes it to split further.  

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,654
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: nail that splits vertically....


@lulu1 wrote:

My "wedding ring" fingernail has split vertically for years.  No product helps it; I've given up.  I keep it short and put a false nail over it to match the length of my other nails.


@lulu1 The wedding ring finger is the finger that splits on me as well !   When you say "false " nail do you mean a gel nail ?

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,654
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: nail that splits vertically....


@september wrote:

Yes, I do have this.  Have had it for 30+ years.  If there has been permanent damage to the nail bed, it will never be normal.  I've tried just about everything mentioned here.

 

I usually wear gel nails, but take a break every few years and give it another try to see if there is a new product on the market that will work. 

I'm ready to go back to the gels.  The split nail gets caught on everything, which causes it to split further.  



@september wrote:

Yes, I do have this.  Have had it for 30+ years.  If there has been permanent damage to the nail bed, it will never be normal.  I've tried just about everything mentioned here.

 

I usually wear gel nails, but take a break every few years and give it another try to see if there is a new product on the market that will work. 

I'm ready to go back to the gels.  The split nail gets caught on everything, which causes it to split further.  


@september @I've had minebforbaboutb10 years now so I'm sure your right it will stay this way as it must have been damaged at some point cause it is just that one stupid nail!     If it grows out to a certain long length it will stop for a bit but always comesback and out comes the glue  whuch will last anywhere from 3 weeks to maybe 5 till it splits again and has to be filed down pact the split once again till it grows out!