Esteemed Contributor

nail that splits vertically....

I have one nail that always splits  vertically from the tip .   If I grow it long enough , I do wear my nails long but cut them down now and then  cause they grow very fast .  Anyways this one nail is the only one that has issues .  I have no idea why ,  must have injured the nail bed somehow.   I use gorilla glue or super glue after filing it till the split is gone and I can grow it out past the point where it doesn't spilt anymore.    Does anyone have a nail like this and if so what have you found to cure it ?

Respected Contributor

Re: nail that splits vertically....

I have one nail like what you described. I have found nothing will fix this, the nail grows this way. I am aware of it so I am careful with that nail. By the way, since I have not gotten a manicure in a year and nothing on my nails they are better than ever. Strange.

Honored Contributor

It's most likely genetic and you can't fix it without gene therapy and we're not there.  Yet. 

Honored Contributor

I have a couple of nails like that...my thumb nails, both of them! I just keep using a nail filler product that I just found and it helps a lot. Seems to last long so I don't have to keep reapplying it. I apply two coats and the cracks are filled. The one I use has a hint of natural sheer pink color, very nice. No toxic stuff in it either. Found it online at Walmart for less than $4. There's a colorless one also.

Nail-Aid: 8-in-1 Nude Manicure – nailaidworks.com

Respected Contributor

I have one nail that does the same thing. I use Say Hansen 7 in 1 and I personally think it helps. I thought perhaps it was damaged because I smashed that finger up at one point. Maybe not the reason? Genetics? Could be but my mothers and fathers nails never had a splt...
So I don't know...
Respected Contributor

SilleeMe, you are always 10 steps in front of me...🙂
Respected Contributor

My nails have always been great but lately they are starting to split vertically.  My thumbs NEVER grow very long because they split on the sides - they have done this for decades.  No amount of product or glue has helped.  I do keep them on the shorter side, but it doesn't seem to matter. The ones that split vertical are super short, not even past the finger tip.  :-(

Honored Contributor

The nail on my left hand ring finger splits vertically when it gets to be a certain length.  I always have a fine glass nail file with me and smooth the edge it as soon as I feel it getting rough.  Sometimes several times a day.  I have a ridge on that nail where it splits.

My nail has been like this forever..no injury that I remember.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't cut a nail that splits, only file it.  Cutting encourages a break at the most delicate part of the nail.

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore   Could it be dryness?  I think you should find a product that will strengthen, hydrate your nails and leave the nail polish off for a while to heal your current nails.

kindness is strength