Respected Contributor

I used to get a regular maicure 3-4 times a month. My nails would be short,and constantly split at the tip and chip. No more. No polish since the first week of March. They are growing like crazy and not splitting and chipping. I believe part of the problem was the buffing they do before polishing. I believe it thins the nails. Will never have buffing again and will only get 2 manicures a month at most as I now KNOW constant chemicals definately hurt my nails- maybe not others' nails- but mine for sure!

Trusted Contributor

I'm growing my acrylics out.  Not pretty.  I file them every day. They're really short with light pink polish on them (I polish them myself).

Can't wait for the nail salons to open back up here which won't be for another month at the soonest.  

Respected Contributor

My nails are not peeling. Even with washing. I have nothing on my nails and they are better than usual with no manicures.   I have been cutting them every few weeks.

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant 

Mine too!  I soaked off the dip nail polish 2 weeks ago.  I have ridges from years of acrylic grinding/buffing.  The day of shutdown the nail tech removed the acrylic & gels -- the dip lasted pretty nicely.

Right now nails are not "pretty & long" since they are natural. 

I plan to just get manicure.  Although, I scheduled my pedicure for Tuesday.

I don't know the guidelines except cash (no cc cards), flip flops, masks -- tech will only do pedicure no hot stone massage or lotions.  

Contributor
Mine probably have another month to grow out. I'm annoyed by the "buffing" marks and wonder if this is truly necessary when using dip. I'm inclined not to return to the process, although I'd give anything for a pedicure.
Esteemed Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

I used to get a regular maicure 3-4 times a month. My nails would be short,and constantly split at the tip and chip. No more. No polish since the first week of March. They are growing like crazy and not splitting and chipping. I believe part of the problem was the buffing they do before polishing. I believe it thins the nails. Will never have buffing again and will only get 2 manicures a month at most as I now KNOW constant chemicals definately hurt my nails- maybe not others' nails- but mine for sure!

So happy to hear that.  Pretty manicures are so full of toxins. 

We all are learning so many little things about our lives from this tragedy..

Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@ellaphant wrote:

So happy to hear that.  Pretty manicures are so full of toxins. 

We all are learning so many little things about our lives from this tragedy..

@hopi   I agree with you. I bolded above.  Not about nails (sorry off subject). Time to think..

Respected Contributor

My nails are really hanging in there quite well too. I get weekly maniures for my natural nails. Since this has been going on, I have been using Beekman's Cuticle Cream. My nails are growing so fast. Not saying that I will stop my manicure appointments. As soon as they open I will return. 

Honored Contributor

Re: my nails look fabulous!

[ Edited ]

Mine are long and strong with just a nail hardener on them. but, they are yellow from all the dark polish over the winter. I am going to try to whiten them using peroxide.  You can also use toothpaste to whiten them. 

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle 

This kept happening to me, too.  I learned that applying a base coat before nail polish would take care of yellowing...and it does!

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown