Honored Contributor

Re: makeup that looks natural for older women

Valo Vitamin C Glow Reveal Moisturizer | eBay

I had to give up mineral powder when I turned 50.  Tried several liquids, hybrids and BB creams, but finally discovered Lumene.

Their moisturizer and CC cream feel more like skincare than cosmetics.  I prefer CC cream to BB cream because it looks and feels "lighter."  Kinda the "natural, but better" look.  Evens everything out.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

I used to use Merle Norman when I was in my teens and twenties.  I always admired the older women who worked there.  They had radiant, glowing skin.  I always thought it was because they used the three steps. I am thinking of finding a studio and trying them again.  I always loved the cream foundation and the Miracol facial.

Honored Contributor

I have normal to oily skin - for everyday, I just use a Cover Girl compact foundation.

I have an Avon cream-to-powder compact for when I'm "going somewhere" .... and I have two more in my stash.  I just checked Avon's website - they no longer sell it.

I guess I'll be going full time on the Cover Girl until I find a new "going out" foundation.  No rush, though - since I have some backups.

My issue is always a color problem.  I have a very fair neutral complexion and not easy to match the color.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It really depends on your skin.  I know "older" women that have very dry skin and some that still have very oily skin.  Some still get acne or have very textured skin and some who have skin like glass.  Some have very wrinkled skin, some have little to no wrinkles.  It's also a matter of personal preference.  Heavy make-up to one is light to another.    

I have a very strong opinion on the latest craze of skin tints and sheer foundations but I'll keep it to myself.  LOL

I have skin that is combo leaning towards dry.  I prefer a natural finish foundation.  I don't like my skin to be glowy because I always feel greasy with glowy products.  I do not like matte foundations and IMO there is just no such thing as a matte foundation that also works for dry skin. 

2 of my favorite foundations are Revlon Candid (not the glow version) and Flower Beauty Light Illusion foundation.  The Revlon is my holy grail foundation and what I wear 99% of the time.  I typically wear the Flower Beauty for going out to an event as the coverage is a little more than the Revlon.

Honored Contributor

@Fionna   I do really like Boots No7 Protect & Perfect (advanced)  All In One Foundation.  It doesn't settle into my lines and has 50 spf which is beneficial to someone like me with quite a bit of sun damage from my sun worshipping years. 

With that said,  I would like better coverage and I get  that from Clinique Even Better..... BUT....whenever I go for that heavier coverage, I automatically know it won't be as "smooth sailing" as the lighter coverage of something like Boots No7.  I don't know how old you are (I am 71) and you may not have the problem of sun damage or make-up settling in lines.  If you're not looking for that fuller coverage, I think think the Boots is a great choice.  I wear it at home mostly and use my Clinique when I want more coverage.      

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

It really depends on your skin.  I know "older" women that have very dry skin and some that still have very oily skin.  Some still get acne or have very textured skin and some who have skin like glass.  Some have very wrinkled skin, some have little to no wrinkles.  It's also a matter of personal preference.  Heavy make-up to one is light to another.    

I have a very strong opinion on the latest craze of skin tints and sheer foundations but I'll keep it to myself.  LOL

I have skin that is combo leaning towards dry.  I prefer a natural finish foundation.  I don't like my skin to be glowy because I always feel greasy with glowy products.  I do not like matte foundations and IMO there is just no such thing as a matte foundation that also works for dry skin. 

2 of my favorite foundations are Revlon Candid (not the glow version) and Flower Beauty Light Illusion foundation.  The Revlon is my holy grail foundation and what I wear 99% of the time.  I typically wear the Flower Beauty for going out to an event as the coverage is a little more than the Revlon.

I Agree. That's why I say not everyone has the same problems.  I know some older women who have skin that looks better than mine and mine looks pretty good for a woman my age.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also use Bare Minerals mineral makeup and have used it for a long time. I don't like the "feel" of liquid foundation and have tried many and always go back to BM. I really buff it in. (I use Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Cloud Cream which feels like water going on and doesn't leave a greasy film on my face.) Then I use a dampened Beauty Blender and go over my whole face to ensure there is no powder look. I'm very happy with my BM and do not try other foundations anymore.