Esteemed Contributor

My brushes are mostly Sigma, Real Techniques, and Elf.  

The Sigma ones are the best quality, and they have so many choices that you can find just about any type of brush you would need in any shape on their website.

If you are looking for low-cost basic brushes that you can buy at the store, you may want to check out Real Techniques brushes or Moda brushes (made by Royal and Langnickel) at Walmart. 

Elf is another brand you can check out, but the quality is not always there, unless you only purchase from their Perfectly Precise line (the handles are clear and the bristles are white).  I like some of the Elf brushes that are black, but some of them are not so good.  

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbestwrote:

My brushes are very old,not used in a few years, so i need a few new ones ,i know nothing about whatit considered good brushes, what makes for good ones?

@goldensrbest  I had to weigh in on this one: Good brushes can make or break application just like when painting. 

Most people (myself included) own more brushes than necessary. I use hair for powder products and synthetic for cream products. The basic brushes should include a powder brush (large fluffy), blush/bronzer(a little smaller than powder & maybe angled), synthetic small concealer brush that can also be used for cream shadows, 2 eye shadow brushes for powder shadow...one w/ smaller head for direct application & a larger head for blending, a small tip liner brush, if you use powder or gel liner instead of pencil. I also use a short handle kabuki brush for blending everything on my face as a last step. 

If beginning w/ new brushes and money is not an issue, I think the best ones are Trish McEvoy (she began making brushes before having a makeup line) and Bobbi Brown....both of these brushes have lasted me over 20 yrs. w/ proper care. I’ll add the IT brushes (newer on the market, in comparison). There’s some controversy because there are different grades/quality of brushes depending where you purchase them or what color handle. Some w/ black handles from Q offered w/ kits or products are OK, but lately ones w/ silver tone or lucite handles not so great. ULTA has IT brushes made for them & IMO are not as high a quality. 

If you’re looking for less expensive brushes to start out, purchase a “starter set”, which usually contains 5-7 brushes, at Target or BB&B. They carry an Earththeraputic brand, cruelty free and good bristles.

Esteemed Contributor

My favorite brushes are my IT Cosmetic brushes. Have gotten all of them for free or a couple dollars because I got them with a product or with a tsv kit.

Valued Contributor

My favorite are the Artis brushes, expensive but well worth it.  They are very dense and do not bend or collapse against the application area giving a real even distribution of product and flawless finish.  Because the fibres are so dense and thin it allows you to use less product. You can see some tutorials on their website.  HSN sells some of these and you can use the 20% off coupons on them.

libby's folly
Occasional Contributor

Me too  have a lot of brushes.  Lately I tried Eve Pearl 201 brush and 204 brush. I was surprised. They are amazing.  Strongly recommend.  

Trusted Contributor

@persiflagewrote:

My favorite are the Artis brushes, expensive but well worth it.  They are very dense and do not bend or collapse against the application area giving a real even distribution of product and flawless finish.  Because the fibres are so dense and thin it allows you to use less product. You can see some tutorials on their website.  HSN sells some of these and you can use the 20% off coupons on them.

I'm interested in trying this type of brush but don't want to spend the big bucks on an Artis one.  I read some good reviews of this oval type brush with dense hairs at Sally Beauty and wonder if any of you have used their brush.

Valued Contributor

@soonersiswrote:

@persiflagewrote:

I'm interested in trying this type of brush but don't want to spend the big bucks on an Artis one.  I read some good reviews of this oval type brush with dense hairs at Sally Beauty and wonder if any of you have used their brush.

I haven't tried that brand but looked it up and read the reviews.  I think you should try it  because it's more affordable and see what you think.

libby's folly