Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's w/ the "Weight?".. & "Beauty?"

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Health must always be number one.  Without health, nothing else matters.

Health requires diligence and care, even if one is blessed with good genes, a loving upbringing, and a positive environment (other critical factors).

Those who have lots of funds available can also hire personal chefs, personal trainers, many assistants, and limit their duties (and stresses) as they choose.

Finally, I also think that perspective plays a critical role.  Although we may self-criticize our own (imagined) deficiencies, others may not see us with the same negative view.  It is important to appreciate what we have, to strive to do better if possible, and to have compassion for ourselves and others, the majority who do not meet the definition of "movie star" or "princess" perfect.

Just this week my PCP made the comment "you can't outrun genetics". We were discussing how surprised I was that my cholesterol numbers went up even tho I had doubled the time and distance of running AND had changed my diet.

For me, being healthy has always been important and I place more emphasis on health over makeup/ skincare. Which is not to say I don't pay attention to how I look, because I do. But for me, right now, makeup is just a fun thing to do, whereas being healthy is a MUST thing. Weight management can be difficult/challenging, but I do think it's less about being a certain number on the scale or certain size, than finding the balance that works for the individual. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

I've never had a weight problem and I had 3 babies in 3 years!

Never could understand how people can gain so much?  Love food and eat what ever I want.

You just have to deal with whatever you inherit, I guess.  Is one really "better" than the other?  We all have our problems to live with.  Weight has just never been one of mine.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MakeUpMaidn   Your welcome...🌹

Respected Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn I've known people slender like Kate who could devour amazing amounts of food, with no weight gain. And, they're not gym rats, working out two hours a day. How? Genetics and the grace of a very efficient metabolic rate. 

I've accepted my metabolism is that of a two-toed sloth, in spite of working out daily. Sometimes, feeling sorry for myself, I blame it on my thyroid that I can't keep at desired levels. But, the problem existed before the thyroid conked out. So, it's just me. Just who I am and I have to settle for it. 

It's hard work for me to maintain an average weight, but I do. I do feel jealous of friends who eat calorie laden, wonderful meals, I can only enjoy on -- maybe a holiday. Than back to salads ... Lol. 

But, with age I'm learning that all of us have our cross to bear, so it's unwise to be jealous of anyone else. You see someone who you think has the perfect life one minute -- then they have their own struggles. Often much more challenging that needing to micromanage weight.

Life balances itself out in the end for most of us. My motto is to enjoy every day to the best of our ability. When we do so, we look, and feel, our most beautiful. Even on makeup free days :-).

Honored Contributor

@Zhills 

Genes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

People in the public eye have an image to maintain, moreso for those in leadership.  They are disciplined in all areas - diet, sleeping hours, waking hours, fulfilling their duties, diplomacy, etc.  

I've been wearing makeup for 50 yrs,  I'm competent at the application, except for fake lashes.  Even though I know what I'm doing, all the makeup in the world couldn't, wouldn't, and didn't  tide me through or make me feel pretty when I was fat.  Now that I've lost all my excess weight and am 5-6 sizes smaller there are more options and I feel pretty whether I'm dressed up or in some plain jeans and a T-shirt. Because of all the positive impacts related to my health, confidence, etc. I refuse to return to my old fat self. Adopting a lifestyle change and making it permanent is the tool to maintaining my success.   If I give up, I will revert.  Why would I want to do that?

Honored Contributor

There's only so much I can do weight-wise since I can't change my structure just like you can't outrun your genes.  I also have the metabolism of a slug thanks to my thyroid.  I'm about as slim as I can be realistically, but I'm stocky.  I do enjoy shopping for clothes more at this weight than at a heavier one though.  I've been going to the gym and working out for years, and I do make myself do some running on the track when I'm there, as much as I despise it.  That helps my stamina and the weights build muscle.

I'm on several medications, but my doctor is very happy with where I am.  Basically, I go in once a year for my annual and the receptionist says "See you next year" as I leave after getting my results.  I'm very thankful for my health after seeing the health of many people in my age range decline.  

Honored Contributor

I haven't read any of the other replies - yet.  No matter what size we are -- short, tall, heavy, slim, or in between - whether we are satisifed with the shapes of our bodies or not -- most of us can find enjoyment to some degree with playing with makeup!  

I also used to feel this way about shoes.  Before I got issues with my ankles and feet, when I was feeling down, I would go shoe shopping and buy a new pair of cute and fun shoes! I  figured no matter the shape or size of your body, shoes always made you feel good!  But sadly, that went by the wayside!  

I am currently not loving my body so much -- part of it is not my fault --- age -- and part of it is --- poor eating habits.  

I don't think that weight and beauty should ever be tied together or that you have to have the perfect weight or body to have beauty!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I have never really been "into" make-up.  Years ago when I was working in a big office, I would put on foundation, blush and mascara.  I rarely used eye shadow or lipstick.

But for a long time now, just foundation, and maybe some blush.  I still have mascaras, lipsticks and eyeshadows that are years and years old, some barely touched.

I lost weight in 2019 because we were going on a fantastic vacation.  Came back and could not maintain it and slowly gained most of it back.  Some days I am all hyped up to lose it again, and other days I just don't care.  I am kind of tired of it all, tired of trying.

Kate seems thinner than ever.  I find myself wondering if she even eats at all.  There must be a lot of pressure to stay slim.  If she were to even get to what I would consider a more healthy weight, the magazines would surely report that she is fat.  That is not a life I envy, and I could not do it either.  She sure is darn beautiful though.  As for MM, she seems healthy too, but that is all I will say about her.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

I'm competent at the application, except for fake lashes.

Just don't do what I did today...put them on backwards Smiley Surprised  Some lashes (round) can go on either eye.  These were not round and worn before but for some reason today, I couldn't "see" which one went on which eye.  I came to the conclusion that it must not matter if it was that hard to tell.  Well as soon as I got one on (and naturally it was on the wrong eye) I could tell LOL

Just going to my parent's so I said the heck with it and put the other one on.  After worn multiple times and they aren't dramatically shorter/longer on one end, it can be a little harder to tell because of losing their shape.  These are headed for the trashcan tonight.