Honored Contributor

Re: hyaluronic acid,want to know how/where they get it?

Here you go, an actual article about how they get hyalauron out of rooster combs AFTER the roosters are killed because they are also dinner. And notice the mention of ethical treatment, as well.

Excerpt: Pfizer rigorously cares for its Swedish white leghorns, in keeping with Swedish ethics laws, he said.

Plus, fine care makes for a better product. ''If the roosters are doing well,'' he said, ''we get a higher quality hyaluronan.''

To extract the product, Pfizer and another major manufacturer, Genzyme, follow essentially the same process.

Genzyme, of Cambridge, Mass., starts with garden variety chickens from Northeastern farms. The combs are removed after slaughter (the chickens are sold for food), frozen and shipped to the manufacturing plant. Freezing helps destroy bacteria. But when the combs arrive at the plant, they are raised to room temperature and sliced into chips. The chips are dumped in a huge vat where they are washed to remove remaining bacteria, feathers, blood or other contaminants.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/23/science/from-the-head-of-a-rooster-to-a-smiling-face-near-you.html...

And that's how you do it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/1/2015 ChynnaBlue said:

Here you go, an actual article about how they get hyalauron out of rooster combs AFTER the roosters are killed because they are also dinner. And notice the mention of ethical treatment, as well.

Excerpt: Pfizer rigorously cares for its Swedish white leghorns, in keeping with Swedish ethics laws, he said.

Plus, fine care makes for a better product. ''If the roosters are doing well,'' he said, ''we get a higher quality hyaluronan.''

To extract the product, Pfizer and another major manufacturer, Genzyme, follow essentially the same process.

Genzyme, of Cambridge, Mass., starts with garden variety chickens from Northeastern farms. The combs are removed after slaughter (the chickens are sold for food), frozen and shipped to the manufacturing plant. Freezing helps destroy bacteria. But when the combs arrive at the plant, they are raised to room temperature and sliced into chips. The chips are dumped in a huge vat where they are washed to remove remaining bacteria, feathers, blood or other contaminants.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/23/science/from-the-head-of-a-rooster-to-a-smiling-face-near-you.html

ohhhh, thank you so much ChynnaBlue What a relief to read they kill them first.

I positively thought I read they just lop off the cone while the bird is on conveyor belts, then the bird is grinded up for filler feed to mink farms or for other things like dog food ect.I probably pictured it alive in my mind as I was reading it.... and yes,I should not have posted it at all.I am sorry I did not think first.

I also got a petition on FB from Change.org. to sign to stop this, saying it was cruel and inhumane.I probably I misread that one too.It was about lip and wrinkle fillers

I am really glad to know they kill them first,I really am.It was bothering me for so very long. Thanks again{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I apologise to all here for misreading and posting wrong. I am so relieved.

Super Contributor

hyaluronic acid is naturally in your body in your joints....

Honored Contributor

On 4/1/2015 MalteseMomma said:

Genzyme, of Cambridge, Mass., starts with garden variety chickens from Northeastern farms. The combs are removed after slaughter (the chickens are sold for food), frozen and shipped to the manufacturing plant. Freezing helps destroy bacteria. But when the combs arrive at the plant, they are raised to room temperature and sliced into chips. The chips are dumped in a huge vat where they are washed to remove remaining bacteria, feathers, blood or other contaminants.<br /> <br /> Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/23/science/from-the-head-of-a-rooster-to-a-smiling-face-near-you.html

I positively thought I read they just lop off the cone while the bird is on conveyor belts, then the bird is grinded up for filler feed to mink farms or for other things like dog food ect.I probably pictured it alive in my mind as I was reading it.... and yes,I should not have posted it at all.I am sorry I did not think first.

I also got a petition on FB from Change.org. to sign to stop this, saying it was cruel and inhumane.I probably I misread that one too.It was about lip and wrinkle fillers

I am really glad to know they kill them first,I really am.It was bothering me for so very long. Thanks again{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I get a lot of petitions about a lot of things. Most come with limited information OR are from someone who did no research before posting the petition. Anyone can post a petition there (I have) and too many people don't bother to do any research or fact-checking before they do. I always read the petition and then do my own checking before I sign or pass it on to anyone else. The way I view it, my signature and my Facebook wall are my endorsements and I don't endorse anything without doing some checking of my own.

Trusted Contributor

Genzyme, of Cambridge, Mass., starts with garden variety chickens from Northeastern farms. The combs are removed after slaughter (the chickens are sold for food), frozen and shipped to the manufacturing plant. Freezing helps destroy bacteria. But when the combs arrive at the plant, they are raised to room temperature and sliced into chips. The chips are dumped in a huge vat where they are washed to remove remaining bacteria, feathers, blood or other contaminants.<br /> <br /> Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/23/science/from-the-head-of-a-rooster-to-a-smiling-face-near-you.html

Oh, I am SO glad that you're relieved that they 'kill them first.'

Wow.

Honored Contributor

On 4/1/2015 fitfuninformed said:

Oh, I am SO glad that you're relieved that they 'kill them first.'

Wow.

The article says that they are killed for food.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Ahhhh, that makes sense.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Honored Contributor

I eat poultry and meat, so yes, it does make sense to me that they kill the chickens.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 4/1/2015 suzyQ3 said:

I eat poultry and meat, so yes, it does make sense to me that they kill the chickens.

Yep, I also eat poultry and meat, so I'm glad to know that a) less of the animal is wasted b) the animal was killed before having a body part removed, which, as you may have seen, was the original idea put forth by the OP.

Fitfuninformed, if you're a vegan, good for you - not for me.

Honored Contributor

Not true. It's produced in a lab.

♥Surface of the Sun♥