Trusted Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: how-to-cut-your-own-hair

another way is to cut heavy but thinner pieces of cardboard or something else that won't bend in lengths. You than divide your hair into sections and taking a section at a time using a rat tail comb slide the thin tail of the comb under a small thin section of hair and hold the cardboard(or plastic) under the section and cut what hangs over the end of the cardboard. When you cut a section pin it up and out of the way and continue.

You can make different lengths in different pieces of cardboard if you prefer a more layered look or different lengths on the top etc.

You have to remember to only take very small thin sections of hair so the cut is gradual in length, doing it this way it won't look choppy. You can either hold the cardboard straight out or down but do all the same.

Doing this does get the arms tired but you can stop and take a break anything being your hair is sectioned off.

I have hair down to my waist. Always do this on dry hair unless you are using something like plastic that won't bend due to wet hair but for me dry hair works better isn't as fragile as wet hair.

When finished I ask my DH to just even out if anything at the bottom isn't straight or I have a few stragglers.

our friends DS does his own hair, his brothers and his days using an expired drivers license card which can be used either end to end or side to side depending on what length he wants he said, turns out good too.

Trusted Contributor

Re: how-to-cut-your-own-hair

I prefer cutting my hair dry as well.It's curly so i don't get any surprises