Occasional Contributor

my daughter is a cosmetic chemist fot estee lauder.  they own smashbox, clinique , la mer, bobbi brown etc.  i get a lot of samples for christmas i got 500 dollar the concetrate from la mer.  she loves her job.  dreamed of it since high school.  we always went to the makeup artists trade show in nyc.  there are awesome jobs for girls interested in science.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: have to brag a little bit

What a joy when your children are happy and fulfilled. She sounds like an accomplished lady. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Occasional Contributor

encourage your daughters, grand daughters to go into science.  my daughter went to penn state with a degree in chemistry.

Occasional Contributor

thanks, but i want to encourage young ladies to pursue the sciences.  esp those interested in makeup skin care etc..

Esteemed Contributor

How wonderful that your daughter is living her dream!! That's  what we want for our children.💐

Honored Contributor

I'm glad your daughter found a profession that she enjoys!

Occasional Contributor

beauty is our passion

Respected Contributor

@kathys67 

So glad for your daughter dream job!

I was lucky enough to work in the textile division of a large chemical company very close to home.  My mom worked in the metals division and my dad in the plant where large batches of product were made.  I worked there 5 summers and earned my college tuition.    ( You know that had to be many, many years ago.)

While excelling in the sciences, I found the smells to be awful so not my choice for a career.  

Then, I fell in love with Psychology in college.  Again, the career choice was a no go: the department chair insisted anyone who wanted to major in the subject must complete an after school, once weekly tour of volunteering at Pennhurst State Hospital  ( now closed ).  Too many issues for me.

Right before graduation I attended an on-campus major corporations' recruiting day.  With my language studies, I thought I was about to be interviewed by the CIA ( Vietnam Nam era ) but sat down at the wrong table.  It turned out to be the right table: 20-year career as an executive with a major telecommunications company.

The key answer which landed me on the fast track program was a story I related that showed initiative, leadership and follow through !

To those responsible for youngsters: let them try out things that will broaden their backgrounds.  You never know where an experience ( positive or negative ) will lead.  How they interpret and use the experience may land them a job / career they had never considered !!!

This, from someone who thought she was going to be a professor of comparative literature !   After an executive career and a lengthy and successful career consulting practice, I became an adjunct professor at my college and taught Leadership & Group Communication Skills !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@kathys67. I wish you'd ask your talented daughter to come up with a lipstick that lasts longer than 15 minutes but doesn't dry out the lips.  We used to have great lipsticks in the '50s, then someone decided that Red Dye Number ?, caused cancer so they took it off the market.  Lipstick hasn't been the same since.

If paint chemists can come up with an exterior paint that lasts 20 years, why can't cosmetic chemists develop a lipstick that will last 8 hours?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@kathys67 

Always great to have a job you love!!

Since you get to sample so many things, can you tell us some of your absolute favorites?