Respected Contributor

hairdresser said I tipped too much

I've been seeing the same hairdresser for twenty five years. For a while I only had him do color; I was getting cut around the corner from me.

Since the pandemic I have had him do cut; more expensive but a better cut and also you could go surgery in the salon he's in.

I always give him the same tip but last time I was short on cash and gave him less. Figured I'd make it up this time.

HE SAID IT WAS TOO MUCH AND GAVE ME BACK A TEN DOLLAR BILL!

And I did give him a gift at Christmas. We have the same Irish skin and I gave him a tub of FAB. I know him really well.

Respected Contributor

Re: hairdresser said I tipped too much

very nice of you to tip like that.if I'm happy with a service i always tip high.im a server as well,so customers most of the time tip good if they feel like they are getting good service

Honored Contributor

My tip is usually 20% and I usually don't budge from that.

Respected Contributor

Mine also but I upped it this one time.

Esteemed Contributor

@lavendar  I've been seeing the same hairdresser for 40 years. She came to our house during the pandemic and cut my and my husband's hair on the back patio. When I started with her, she was single. Now she has a daughter in pre-law and a son with a scholarship to NC. I called her when she was shut down to see if she needed anything, but  she was doing landscaping (!!?!) to make ends meet. I have over-tipped during the pandemic, and she is thankful. 

Respected Contributor

This is the hairdresser who thought I was dead when I didn't show up or call to cancel an appointment. I was in the hospital and they lost my phone. It was found the day I left.

Regular Contributor

That's awesome.  I find I am overtipping often because all of our service people we tip have had such a hard year with the lockdowns/shutdowns.  I'm overcompensating but I really feel for them!

Respected Contributor

I do 20%.  And extra if I'm doing a big change.

Honored Contributor

@michmi wrote:

That's awesome.  I find I am overtipping often because all of our service people we tip have had such a hard year with the lockdowns/shutdowns.  I'm overcompensating but I really feel for them!

@michmi  I've done that too. My first haircut after salons re-opened and I felt safe to go, I tipped more than usual..afterall, I was not the only one that had skipped almost a year. 

Trusted Contributor

Anytime I tip now (since the pandemic) I always tip extra. I don't  know if they have gone through a period of less tips or not but I have been fortunate enought to have been working the whole time. I don't go out to eat often or get my hair cut either anymore.