Respected Contributor

hairdresser gift with a twist

I have always given my hairdresser a gift at Xmas. He has very sensitive skin and it's some kind of heavy duty moisturizer. Last year a large FAB cream. 

However, due to the pandemic I assume he could use cash. I can just add it to the tip. He is an employee but the shop was closed until June. I don't know if he got unemployment.

I'll give my mailman the FAB cream because he doesn't stop telling me how great it is. I started gifting him two years ago because he brings all my packages (some are heavy) to my front door. I live in an apartment building.

Honored Contributor

Re: hairdresser gift with a twist

@lavendar - I think he will be very happy!

My own hairstylist has also been a good friend since we moved here. He gave DD a part time job in high school and she is still part of the family. I watched for years as wrapped gifts piled up next to his station at Christmas. I always gave him a bottle of wine. Then one year I decided to give him a card and put cash inside. He was SO appreciative!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Thanks. I'll add thirty five bucks to his next tip. That's what the cream costs.

Respected Contributor

I always give my hairdresser a cash gift. She is a single mother and I figure she could use it - especially this year being out of work for three months with the earlier shutdown. 

Honored Contributor

It crosses my mind that many of these appreciation gifts are not wanted. Especially this year, a monetary gift would be appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

A nice holiday card and a grocery store gift card. 

Honored Contributor

I still have not been to my salon. My hair/curls are just growing and taking on a life of their own...ponytail, some up/some down, messy bun...I'm having fun after so many years of very short hair.

I had always given my stylist a holiday gift and certainly the pandemic would not change that. This year, I dropped off a set of 3 Turbie Twist towels with a nice check tucked in. The check equals a hair cut with tip. 

Respected Contributor

I give cash gifts as well.  I used to gift what I thought people would like but experience taught me that cash is the universal language in gift giving, no returns, no unhappy recipients and it is so much easier.  I have never had a bad reaction to a cash gift.  S. Aka Lilysmom 

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

It crosses my mind that many of these appreciation gifts are not wanted. Especially this year, a monetary gift would be appreciated.

I have to agree...either cash or a gift card would probably be most appreciated particularly this year!

Respected Contributor

Same as @Lilysmom1 !  I give my hair stylist a card with $100 in it.  She is always so happy! As an aside, as a retired teacher, if a parent ever wanted to give me something, I was very happy with a nice thank-you note and a word to my principal was even better!  But if I got a gift, the most appreciated was a generic cash gift card or a gas gift card to the local station by my school.  I had enough mugs, ornaments, and other stuff to last a lifetime.  Unless you know your stylist, teacher, or other person you want to gift EXTREMELY well, cash or a generic cash gift card is always the gift that fits.