Super Contributor

hair pins or something to hold hair

I hve been trying all sorts of pins/ bobbyt pin to hold my hair back (just behind the ears) Purchased several over

the counter the sears to hold hair (not mine)

Be chemo I had thick hair but after chemo it came back thinner. I so happy I have hair Just need a suggestion if anyone has used anything that work.

this is what I have tried: varies clip you push down to hold hair in place

long hairpins

Valued Contributor

Re: hair pins or something to hold hair

I have some very small combs that I bought at grocery store. I put them in facing the opposite direction. They hold pretty well.

Respected Contributor

@crazered Like many products the quality of bobby pins has been compromised. My suggestion is to use a trick I saw on Y&R. Put the first pin in at an angle. Put a second pin on top of it from the opposite angle forming an X. The two crossed pins strengthen the holding power better than two parallel ones.

Respected Contributor

What about a stretchy headband? You can get them at amazon, grocery stores, etc. and they often come in a pack with a variety of colors. I often use bobby pins when I want to hold my hair back from my face, but when I really want it held back well (washing my face, etc.), I use a stretchy headband.

Honored Contributor

These work the BEST for containing small amounts of "flyaway" hair

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

I hope your chemo was successful!

my covid hair is coming in with lots of fly-away gray hairs. I used those clips early on. now pull hair to high top knot (think Pebbles Flintstone) and use a 'bun cage' I found on Amz. I also can secure the bun with a long alligator clip. 

for fly aways, I love Edge Wax (men's area of drug stores). it tames those wiry hairs. also, freezing hairspray helps. 

agree double X with bobby pins more secure than a single. for my back that's not long enough to reach the top knot, I use the wax, then two plastic comb clips: run them up the hair, turn and insert pulling down to secure. I even leave them in at night and they hold. 

its mostly trying different things. also, maybe don't wash your hair too often: 'dirty' hair tends to 'mind' better. 

good luck!

Super Contributor

tons of hair clips on etsy

Honored Contributor

Maybe you need a haircut and style so you don't have to rely on hair pins and clips.

Honored Contributor

@crazered 

My hair is cut in lengths and I use these to hold the side pieces when I pull it back.  They're larger so you don't have little clips everywhere and curved to fit your head.

From Walmart.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @crazered I hope you are doing better healthwise.  I have some unruly hair strands and I bought a bunch of hair pins, but find that I am liking combs and hair bands better.  

So these are my current faves, all from Amazon:

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 8.38.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 8.39.37 PM.png

The above comb brands have other choices you may like.  

I don't like the hair bands that go around the head, just the ones that sit on top.  These are my fav headbands at this time:

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 8.40.34 PM.png

The above is very unobtrusive.

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 8.41.14 PM.png

If you want to try the braid, choose what is closest to your hair color.  Looks better than you may think!

The hairpins that @Desertdi recommended are my favorite if you go that route, but I like the combs better.