Contributor

hair extensions for 61 year old woman

so I have a longish pixie cut, and I want a bob style for my niece's wedding in December.  My hair grows fast but not fast enough for a chin-length bob.  I just can't go through the awkward growing-out stage which will take forever.  Not attractive at my age.

has anyone had experience with getting extensions?  I don't want hair down my back, but to past my chin....crazy or not?

Respected Contributor

Re: hair extensions for 61 year old woman

Nothing crazy about it! We are never to old to want to do and try different things with our hair and why not! It is only hair and you might really enjoy the look.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are many differenty types of extensions.

clip on

sewn in

glued on

braided in

You may do better w/a lace front wig.  This type it's hard to tell if real or not. 

Wig types:

real hair

synthetic hair

remy hair

Personally, no experience w/extensions.  I keep my hair shaved w/a curly rat's tail.  Age 66.  See my avatar. Smiley Very Happy

I wear a lace front "bob" wig in the winter because I hate hats.

Whatever your decision, you will need to do some research on the salon person who does extensions.  Get recommendations if possible.

For wigs, go to several wig shops.  Bring your own stocking cap so you will be able to try on several.  Most wig shops will suppy those but I feel safer bringing my own.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Not at all crazy, I would would with a trusted stylist, clip-ins put in for that day might work the best.

Your would need at least 1/2" of hair or more to attach the extensions.

Tape in are good and moderately priced, I would not do glue in ones they are very hard to removed as are the ones with ring, and they are very costly.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I don't know anything about extensions, but I say GO FOR IT.  Sounds like something fun to try.

Honored Contributor

I agree with @Mz iMac. Lace-front wigs are undetectable and imo your best choice. Synthetics are perfect for bad weather because they never lose curl or frizz up. A wig is good to have on hand just in case you need a quick fix. With extensions you basically need somewhat of a good hairstyle to begin with...plus color matching.

Esteemed Contributor

I did have hair extensions for about a year and a half long, many years ago. The reason I went for the extensions was - I always loved long hair, and mine never grew as long as I liked it, it would start to break at the ends and hence - another hair cut was due!

Mine were sewn in, natural human hair, down to my bra line, and it looked really good! I liked them, or would not wear them this long, but there were maintenance issues, of course. As one's own hair grows out, sewn seams come down and loose, and/or start to unravel. I remember also having to buy a special shampoo for extensions, because that hair could not tolerate regular shampoo well enough, don't remember why. Also, extensions needed to be re-sewen often and replaced with new hair once in a while.

When my hair stylist was taking them out to re-do, I noticed how much damage to my own hair there was over time, and mainly at the back of my head, where there was most of the weight pulling my hair down from those tight seams.

My own hair broke off a lot and I decided to get rid of extensions and go for really short, way shorter than I wanted, hair cut, and I started wearing my own hair again.

Maybe my hair was too weak for such long time use of extensions, maybe they prone to do damage to any hair, I don't know. They may work really well for a shorter time period, and look real good if done by a good extensions Pro.

Anyways, once I've seen on line wigs made from natural human hair. They were different from conventional wigs - they had a lot of mesh. You suppose to pull your own hair through the many large openings and mix it up with the wig's hair. This looked really good to me, I wanted it a lot, it was expensive, I could not choose the style..... I ended up never getting it, and now my hair is drastically changed to the better, and I love it as is!

Esteemed Contributor

Was at the salon this weekend and a 60-something woman came in with her own extensions to be braided in.

She asked the stylist to dye her platinum, chin length hair to match her extensions.

Going on vacation & wanted a new look!

Respected Contributor

Oh, oh....I see a place for a great hat here.  Years ago worn by guests for weddings.  I recommend it.