Occasional Contributor

? for at home hair colorers - color lifting

I've done mostly successful home hair coloring for years and years. I've always used drugstore colors. I just recently started having issues with my roots because I think I have more gray than I thought. They always turn out kind of lighter and brassy when compared to the rest of my hair. I've always just pulled the color through my ends in the last couple minutes. Today I went to Sally's for the first time to check out the Age Beautiful color they have and the sales assoc. suggested using a color lifting process first at least once a year to bring everything back to an even color to start with. She said after so many hair colorings it builds up and you should do this to bring it all back to a kind of square one and the color should take more uniformly. I've never heard of this before. I kind of thought you used these kinds of products only if you had a coloring disaster. Do any of you who color your hair at home use a color lifter from time to time? She sold me "One 'n Only Color Fix" by Jheri Redding. Thanks.