Honored Contributor

for Pixiwoo & realTechniques fans...

FOREVER BEAUTIFUL: now mums are getting beauty tips from their daughters!

• *Passing on beauty advice to your daughters has been a long tradition

• *But the tables have turned and mums are looking to their girls for help

• *Now beauty blogging sisters Sam and Nic Chapman share their top tricks

9 March 2015
Mail Online

There has long been tradition for mothers to pass on beauty lessons to their daughters.

But now, mums are just as likely to ask their daughters for advice — particularly because the boom in online beauty bloggers means that young people have access to professional techniques at their fingertips.

All you need to do is Google ‘smoky eye’ and you’ll find dozens of videos showing you how to do it.

It’s no surprise that these online beauty gurus have legions of followers, and two of the biggest YouTube stars are Norwich-based sisters Sam and Nic Chapman, whose Pixiwoo and realTechniques sites have millions of viewers worldwide.

When I met the girls, they were quick to credit their mother Judy, 58, with giving them some of the best tips they still follow.

Nic (left) and Sam Chapman (right) credit their mother Judy (centre) with giving them some of their best beauty tips which they still follow
Nic (left) and Sam Chapman (right) credit their mother Judy (centre) with giving them some of their best beauty tips which they still follow

Judy, too, loves having make-up artist daughters and readily admits that some of the best tricks she has learned have been from Sam and Nic.

With Mother’s Day coming up, I met with Judy, Sam and Nic to learn their top tricks.

SAM, 37, AND NIC, 34: MUM HAS TAUGHT US . . .

Always remove your make-up. Dirt builds up on the skin throughout the day and it blocks your pores and leads to breakouts.
Cleanse thoroughly before bed to remove both dirt and make-up — it will also keep your pillowcases clean!

Moisturise twice a day and remember to apply the cream to your neck, too — our neck and hands are often the first places to show signs of ageing but they are nearly always forgotten.

Dry skin is common in our family, so for us it’s extra important to moisturise properly.

We also use a more intensive treatment in the evening.

Mum taught us to stay out of the sun.
Too much sunbathing leads to wrinkles and age spots in later life.

As a family, we have porcelain-pale skin so have always been cautious about lying out in the midday sun.

Have your eyebrows shaped professionally.
Overplucking can give you a startled appearance and once you have made a brow mistake, it can take years for them to grow back.

Finally, the best tip we’ve learned is to drink plenty of water.
Alongside the obvious health benefits, staying hydrated shows in our skin, too.
It helps to flush out toxins and improve moisture.

JUDY CHAPMAN: MY DAUGHTERS TAUGHT ME . . .

Choose the correct moisturiser for your skin type.
It’s easy to just grab any one, but you need to make sure you are using something that is tailored to your skin.

I am lucky because the girls help me shop for foundation.
However, if you struggle to choose the correct shade you should try it along your jawbone and then go outside into the daylight to check how well it blends into your skin.

Nic (left) and Sam (right) say their mum, Judy (centre), taught them to stay out of the sun and drink plenty of water as it helps to flush out toxins and improve moisture
Nic (left) and Sam (right) say their mum, Judy (centre), taught them to stay out of the sun and drink plenty of water as it helps to flush out toxins and improve moisture

Thin eyebrows can be so ageing and mine are a little overplucked from embracing the thin brow trend in the Seventies.
Now the girls have taught me how to cheat my way to fuller brows with a brow pencil, I have a more youthful look.

The importance of blending with a foundation brush cannot be underestimated.
I couldn’t be without my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush.
The wide, firm bristles make it easier to apply and smooth foundation.

Finally, use an eyeshadow primer.
My eyelids are quite oily and my eyeshadow often creases, so when Sam and Nic taught me to layer eye products, starting with an eyeshadow primer, it totally changed my look.

Honored Contributor

Re: for Pixiwoo & realTechniques fans...

P.S.:

I am NOT affiliated with any of the above.

Just thought that the article (NOT written by me either!) was interesting and informative. 8)