Frequent Contributor

facial brown spots and blotches

Hi, everyone: I've had a lot of joint surgery in the last few years, but recently I had a cataract removed from one eye. Now I've noticed prominent brown splotches on the upper half of my face; they are something new in my war against aging! I've never had such things on my face, ever, and I'm 77.

Last week I caught the tail end of a commercial touting a cream to lessen the brown spots--it was either Olay or Aveeno (I think). Can any of you tip me off to a good product--or is it a losing battle? Thanks in advance! Adele

Super Contributor

Re: facial brown spots and blotches

Vitamin C and sunscreen. I use Philosophy's Turbo Booster C and Elta MD everyday. I also recommend Peter Thomas Roth's peel pads. Also, SkinMedica's Lytera line has given me excellent results - but this brand is quite pricey and I can't justify the long-term cost.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much! I'll probably try the Philosophy and Peter T. Roth items first. So. .. have these helped you or someone you know?

You mention "Vitamin C and sunscreen." Would Vit. C be applied directly to the face, and how would that be done?

~Adele

Super Contributor

On 2/23/2015 ForestMaven said:

Thanks so much! I'll probably try the Philosophy and Peter T. Roth items first. So. .. have these helped you or someone you know?

You mention "Vitamin C and sunscreen." Would Vit. C be applied directly to the face, and how would that be done?

~Adele

The Philosophy Turbo Booster C is in powder form. I mix it with SKINN's Enriched Skin Softening Essence and apply it prior to my serum and moisturizer in the AM, but you could probably mix it with any serum or moisturizer you are currently using.

Do you currently use sunscreen? Using the other products would probably be pointless unless you start protecting your skin from further sun damage (which is probably what your brown spots are).

Super Contributor

To fade them, use a retinol product. To cover them, use Estee lauder Double Wear MAXIMUM coverage just on the spots and blend in with regular foundation or powder.

Olay Regenerist serum and moisturizer in red jar(best price in Costco) fade them well over time. Be sure to use a sunscreen, though, because these products don't have one, and the sun will give you more!

Peel pads like M-61 (love) and others help, too. Then a good moisturizer, like Cera Ve PM.

Trusted Contributor

Here is an article from Paula's Choice Skincare that talks about how to fade dark spots that you can copy/paste into your browser: http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/beauty-buzz/_/how-to-fade-dark-spots-and-get-your-glow-bac...

And here's another article: http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/brown-spots/_/brown-spots-and-uneven-skin-tone

The first article mentions niacinamide, one of the main ingredients in the Olay Regenerist line. The Olay Regenerist line gets good reviews, even from Paula's Choice and she seems to find fault with almost every product she reviews, lol. Ponds Clarant B3 face cream also has niacinamide in it and some of the ladies on the forum have had good results with it.

Trusted Contributor

Hi Maven, I'm sorry about your joint surgeries and cataract surgery. Retinol will get rid of brown spots but you need a prescription for it. You can get over-the-counter products that have small amounts of Retinol in them that also work, but they take longer. Philosophy makes Miracle Worker Anti-Aging Retinoid Pads and they work well. They also have a serum called Time In A Bottle that will lighten things up. Hope this helps! Take care!

Respected Contributor

I use and love Aveeno positively radiant facial cleanser both day and night. In time this will lessen any brown of discoloration on your face. If you want you can also use the Aveeno positively radiant moisturizer which will boost the affect.

I just use the cleanser day and night since my other routine is all Oil of Olay Regenerist line, serum day and night than on top of the serum for night I use the Regenerist microsculpture (red jar) moisturizer.

I do have dry skin and is somewhat sensitive. These work great for me.

Frequent Contributor

I agree... vitamin C, Niacinamide and Sunscreen!!! I use Timeless Vit C + E Ferulic Acid $25 and Olay Regenerist Fragrance Free Serum (2-3% Niacinamide) $25. I mix them together and apply all over my face in the morning. I always wear sunscreen everyday!!! You must use a 1/4 tsp of spf 30 or more all over your face. Sunscreen in cc creams and makeup is not enough because we usually do not put on enough of the product to make the sunscreen truly effective. I use Josie Maran spf 47, Dr. Denese spf 30 day cream and several Paula's Choice sunscreens. I prefer physical sunscreens only (zinc oxide / titanium dioxide). Good luck! Takes a long time to see results but at least things will not get worse.

Frequent Contributor

Oh I forgot to mention exfoliation. That will help too. I prefer BHA (salicylic acid) over AHA exfoliants. I like the Paula's Choice BHA 4% Foam. I use it once or twice a week at night.