Regular Contributor

I am looking for suggestions from the beauties here!

I had a reaction to eyeshadow and it caused my eyelids to be scaly.  It itches or burns at times.  I am looking for suggestions on how to treat this.  I have stopped using eyeshadow, which I miss a great deal.  I am very fair skinnd and my shadow provided color to my skintone.

I got a RX from FP but it did not help - Dexamethasone Prosphate Ophthalmic.

Can anyone relate?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS.

Honored Contributor

Cleanse thoroughly and treat with a warm compress, followed by a thin application of Neosporin or Bactracin. Just a thin amount, though.  Too much and it could seep into your eyes. 

Super Contributor

I was diagnosed with blepharoplasty (eyelid itching and scaling) a couple of years ago. My eyelids were slightly swollen too. I got a prescription for triamcinolone acetone ointment and that helped. As mentioned by another poster, warm compresses are part of the treatment. For maintenance I wash my eyelids and eyebrows once a day with baby shampoo and a clean warm facecloth. After the initial prescription for the ointment I have not had to refill it but I do keep up the baby shampoo wash daily. This has been the cure for me. I hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

@mspemberley wrote:

I was diagnosed with blepharoplasty (eyelid itching and scaling) a couple of years ago. My eyelids were slightly swollen too. I got a prescription for triamcinolone acetone ointment and that helped. As mentioned by another poster, warm compresses are part of the treatment. For maintenance I wash my eyelids and eyebrows once a day with baby shampoo and a clean warm facecloth. After the initial prescription for the ointment I have not had to refill it but I do keep up the baby shampoo wash daily. This has been the cure for me. I hope this helps!

I have an RX for this too for my exzema, commonly called Synalar cream. 

Regular Contributor

Thank you for your suggestions.  I will try these and see if it helps me.

Honored Contributor

If it were my eyes then I would go to an ophthalmologist. 

Honored Contributor

Blepharoplasty is a surgical procedure.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Blepharoplasty is a surgical procedure.

I think the poster meant blepharitis.

Respected Contributor

When I was diagnosed with  blepharitis  years ago by my opthamalogist, I was told to wash my eyes with Occusol or baby shampoo at least three to four times a day and to discard ALL current eye make up.   I also discontinued wearing eye makeup until it cleared.  I was given an ophthalmic ointment to use as well.    

Throwing out all eye make up is what hurt the most but you don't want to reinfect your eye lids.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

@Denise in PA Unfortunately I started having similar issues a couple of years go.  My eyes suddenly became so reactive to so many things. Didn't even know that upper lids could swell! I've had to stop wearing eye makeup (mascara is ok), even concealers and eye cream became a problem. There's only one concealer I can use without an reaction and of course it's been discontinued.  I have one eye cream I can use regularly, and of course it's expensive!   I hope one day to discover what exactly the issue is and / or what ingredient (s) are the issue and be able to return to eye makeup!  I really miss it - so much -  esp. eyeliner.

Anyway ....  Here's what helps me. I have a perscription for tobradex eye ointment.  I find it very effective to heal a reaction or to prevent one when I feel something  / see something coming on.  It's a tiny tube (fair warning).   

I use a spray on my eyes (eye's closed) morning and night.  I buy: 

Heyedrate Lid and Lash Cleanser for Eye Irritation and Eyelid Relief, Gentle Hypochlorous Acid Eyelid Cleansing Spray by Eye Love (1 ounce)

I buy it from amazon.  I spray my eyes let it stay on for maybe 30 seconds or so and rinse it off.  For me, I find it can be irritating if I have it on too long.  Many people don't need to rinse it at all, so it would be up to you.  

I also use 

Refresh Relieva Lubricant Eye Drops, 0.33 Fl Oz Sterile

In the beginning of this, when I had some severe reactions there was a prescription eye drop I took - I'd have to look see what I was given.  I remember I put it in my eye and rubbed some on the skin on and around the eye.

--------

Please share if you discover good information and / or treatments, ok?  Even theories! Also post if you find some truely hypoallergenic eye makeup.  

Take care Smiley Happy