Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I recently finished my 3rd bottle of Hourglass Primer.  It's pure perfection!  It's also very spendy so I set out to find something less spendy.  I read somewhere that ELF made a dupe.  It's in a pump bottle.  Any cheaper "dupe" I've ever tried has never been a true duplicate so it's wasted money.  This ELF primer is an oil slick and smelled like one too.  I couldn't get it off fast enough.  As far as I can remember that's my only experience with ELF cosmetics except for brushes and I'm not a brush aficionado so they work for me just fine.  Often a product's popularity is driven by price and the willingness for people to accept it because it's less expensive.  Recently I found myself having to go to a car parts store to buy new wipers for my car.  I hate going in "man" stores LOL.  I asked which windshield wipers he suggests.  He showed me a set and said this is what I sell the most of.  I asked him if he thought they were the best ones in the store.  He said no, it's just what most people buy because of the price.  They weren't the cheapest ones.  So ELF may be popular but is it because it's a really good product or a really good product at it's price point?  I know the ELF primer that is sitting on my bar is waiting to be returned to WM.  There are exceptions to every rule and, to me, The Ordinary is one of those exceptions.  I haven't used it yet but I just got a bottle of their liquid primer.  I'll be testing it today.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I like their eyebrow kit. I really would buy more, but it is all made in China, I am just not in favor of that. If you sign up for their emails, you get lots of good deals. 

@Shelbelle    How do you feel about swallowing medication, both prescription and OTC, made in China?  I'd say a dab of make-up was trivial in comparison. 

All I can answer you is that i try to avoid that all costs, I always look for transparency, my hubby is a stickler about avoiding it and he checks all he can. He stopped me from buying a bottle of nail polish in Walmart, once he saw the label. We all do what we can, cant do more than that. I know the one RX I take is made in Sweden. 

Valued Contributor

I, too, like the ELF line. I've tried other, more expensive products, and find these are well priced and good quality. I can't be without the eyebrow pencil and the WOW eyebrow tint.  Together they give my sparse brows a nice balanced look.

I also like their small combo of blush and highlighter. Gives nice subtle color and little glow.

Try them! You have little to lose in the way of $$$.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks to all of you for your opinions, suggestions,experiences and knowledge. I've read an article here or there in the past telling of high-end and drugstore cosmetics being produced by the same lab with the same or similar ingredients, I'm hearing that reaffirmed here. To @zitawins point, I have little to lose trying them out!  

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Seems like sometimes "e.l.f." is like a turd in a punch bowl on this forum...LOL!

LOL!!  One of the best responses I've read on this forum in a long time! Thanks for the laugh. 

Esteemed Contributor

I used to order from their website a couple years ago, when they would have sales.  I would get a decent-sized order of whatever I'd been hearing about and had my eye on.  Unfortunately, at least half of what I purchased wound up in the garbage because I didn't like it.  There are some products I've found that I do like, but I'm not the biggest fan of the brand overall.

One of the things I don't like is that -- while the products seem cheaper -- a lot of times the amount of product you get is much less than other brands.  For instance, I bought an eye primer from them that was $2.  It had 1/3 the amount of the Milani eye primer, which was then $6 (is now $7).  The Milani eye primer is a superior primer, so why buy 3 of the e.l.f. primers to get the same amount of product that is in a tube of Milani primer for the same price?  It's just more plastic going to the landfill.  Even with the price increase on the Milani primer, I don't mind paying it because it's a better product.

I do like the cream blush palette and cream contour palette.  Those are now $8, I believe.  I like a couple of their brushes, but the ferules become loose after awhile.  I think the formula on the Opposites Attract eyeshadow palette is good.  If I see another eyeshadow palette from them in that format with a color story I like, I may get it.  I'm using their brow gel right now.  It is okay.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@Quinny    I have used their eye brow pencil and the primer (in a disk) not the tube.  I like both.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I recently finished my 3rd bottle of Hourglass Primer.  It's pure perfection!  It's also very spendy so I set out to find something less spendy.  I read somewhere that ELF made a dupe.  It's in a pump bottle.  Any cheaper "dupe" I've ever tried has never been a true duplicate so it's wasted money.  This ELF primer is an oil slick and smelled like one too.  I couldn't get it off fast enough.  As far as I can remember that's my only experience with ELF cosmetics except for brushes and I'm not a brush aficionado so they work for me just fine.  Often a product's popularity is driven by price and the willingness for people to accept it because it's less expensive.  Recently I found myself having to go to a car parts store to buy new wipers for my car.  I hate going in "man" stores LOL.  I asked which windshield wipers he suggests.  He showed me a set and said this is what I sell the most of.  I asked him if he thought they were the best ones in the store.  He said no, it's just what most people buy because of the price.  They weren't the cheapest ones.  So ELF may be popular but is it because it's a really good product or a really good product at it's price point?  I know the ELF primer that is sitting on my bar is waiting to be returned to WM.  There are exceptions to every rule and, to me, The Ordinary is one of those exceptions.  I haven't used it yet but I just got a bottle of their liquid primer.  I'll be testing it today.

@monicakm What do you like about the Hourglass primer.  I have been using iT primer for years, but I also use Hourglass finishing powder and love it.  I'll be intersted in how you like the Ordinary's primer and how it compares; however, I am reticent about the Ordinary since they have been sold to Estee Lauder and they usually don't make product lines they buy better, and that is being generous.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess

My makeup glides on effortlessly and smoothly and looks great, stays on longer.  I would never wear foundation or a skin tint without priming first.  I really  don't remember WHY I chose Hourglass after deciding the Monistat CHAFING gel was too drying.  I've had three bottles of it and wear makeup maybe 2x a week so I've been using it a LONG time.  

I used The Ordinary Primer today.  I'll have to use it again to know how I feel about it.  When I first got it I applied some to the inside of my arm since that skin is most like my face.  It felt great and stayed silky smooth.  I was in a hurry today while putting on my face but I remember thinking this doesn't feel like it did on my arm.  Needs more testing.

I will be going over to the Inky List if TO goes to the dogs Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

I like there Blushes. I just picked up a blush called Rosay(sp) and love it on  my olive complexion. You get a lot for this price. Check them out they are so inexpensive you really have  nothing to lose.