Super Contributor

Re: dressing 13 year old girls

I'm glad to see you all concerned about this. My oldest son is going to high school this year. We went to orientation yesterday. I couldn't help but notice one of the girls he's been in school with since elementary school had shorts on so short I could see her cheeks popping out! We were seated in the rising style seats. I was sitting down when she walked in front of me to get her seat. Luckily, my son was texting some of his friends on his phone and didn't notice. I know her mom and I just don't get it. The girl is 14. It's really inappropriate for her to be dressed that way.

Honored Contributor

On 8/22/2014 Perkup said:
On 8/21/2014 ryleighbell94 said:
On 8/21/2014 Perkup said:

I have lots of grandchildren, but have most difficulty dressing two college freshmen, one who is 4'11" and another who is 5'11". Both with great figures, but with definite size issues in terms of length. We shop everywhere, and there isn't much quality out there. It's like they expect everyone who is 16 or 17 to wear these high/low styles, tissue thin fabrics that can't possibly hold up for more than 2 or 3 washings, jeans that show a little too much, and forget the leggings which show it all when you bend over to pick up a book.

We were not allowed to wear pants to school - had to be dresses or skirts. No flip flops, no high heels, no shorts (unless they were under a dress). Tops were mostly short sleeve crew neck sweaters, and pearls were ok, but nothing else. Everyone looked good - no one looked they just came off Hooker Highway. Life was easier then.

My girls aren't into disposable dressing, so finding quality clothing isn't easy. Given their differing heights, everything is either too short or too long. Whatever happened to having a fun shopping trip?

Having spent quite a fair bit of time in my original post trying to help the OP understand the clothing market for people my age, I find this post to be entirely rude, condescending, and a perfect example of the attitude the OP should avoid when shopping with a teenager.

For the sake of brevity, I am not going to repeat myself as far as the quality of manufacturing in clothing for teenagers - it is more durable than you think.

Not all jeans show too much - in fact, most jeans, even though I'm tall myself, sit right below my bellybutton, which is a perfect place to be for a young person (any higher and they become high-waters - not an attractive look on a young person at all). If you have issues with the style, pick a pair of boot cut jeans rather than skinny jeans, leggings, or jeggings - jeans are incredibly versatile and they are offered in many different styles for just this reason.

You dressed extremely conservatively, correct? You also grew up during a different era, and one, that I might add, was most likely ripe with civil unrest and was far more oppressive towards women and their freedom to express themselves compared to now. The fact you weren't able to wear pants to school says it all.

I don't fault you for finding this style appealing because it's what you know, but if you are old enough to have grandchildren it is rather idealistic to think the standards of fashion would remain the same throughout your adolescence to the current day, and quite frankly it's unfair to hold your grandchildren to these same standards. Making blanket statements about fashion as it is today is not fair to the industry or your grandchildren, and makes you come off as incredibly judgmental.

As far as the phrase "Hooker Highway" - this speaks volumes about how close-minded you are about modern day teenage fashion. I would hope you don't use phrases like this in front of your grandchildren when they show you a piece of clothing they like. This kind of language has the power to ruin a teenager's self-esteem.

I work as a buyer for Nordstrom's Juniors department, and one thing I always tell older adults who are frustrated when shopping for their younger teens is that if the item is something the parent would wear, it's probably not going to be something that interests a teenager (nor will it be age-appropriate, most of the time). I usually say this to parents, but it rings even more true for grandparents given the considerable age gap.

OP, do NOT approach shopping with your granddaughter with a close-minded attitude like this - it will ruin the experience. Keep an open mind, a relaxed attitude, and avoid imposing your personal style from your own adolescence onto her.

Although I don't think there is really a need for me to answer your post or for your unnecessary criticism, I wish to address some of your erroneous thinking. There is no need for me to "understand" that styles have changed. Likewise, there is no need to remind me that morals have changed since I was young. For the better? I think not. Yes, things are looser now in all the worst ways, but nothing seems really better. You might be interested in knowing that the term "Hooker Highway" is not mine. It came from a 22 year old grandson, who said that "the girls in his classes look like they just came off Hooker Highway".

There is a gap with my grands in terms of years (I just turned 80), but not much of a gap in our thinking. I am actually more liberal with them than their own parents. The girls like quality clothing, made of good fabrics, well constructed, and leaving something to the imagination. In terms of dresses, today's styles are exactly what I wore - sleeveless sheaths, covered with cardigans - with or without buttons.Since you work in the fashion industry, you should be aware of this. By the way, we did wear jeans to school (our choice) if we were staying for a home football game on Fridays.

My children and grands are not prudes, but they have pride in who they are, how they dress, how they behave, etc. Every one of them has attended the college of their choice on full scholarships - academic, athletic, music. The youngest is an honor student in high school. Those who have graduated college are all employed beyond even my expectations. They don't drink more than an occasional beer - they don't smoke - they don't hang out in bars, and the girls don't walk around looking like they just walked out of one. No tattoos, no piercings. Good choices do not know one generation from another. I was raised to be a lady - I've tried to pass that on to my GDs and I've tried to see that my GSs behave like gentlemen.

May I share with you some words from a magazine published by a large University, and written by the wife of a relatively young man who was visiting to decide whether to take on an important position there. A direct quote from the magazine: "While walking through the _____ we came upon a student who was also walking through." (He asked if he could help them, and then instead of just pointing to places they asked about, he stopped what he was doing and showed them around.) "He was very polite and courteous, but quiet with his yes ma'am and no sir. He was patient when we asked questions. It made an impression that he took the time to show total strangers the University's facilities. At the time we had no idea that he was a football player, and he had no idea who we were." (In the end he made sure they got back to their starting point.) "We were very impressed, and I thought to myself, 'That's what I want for my children'." You would recognize the names involved. The young man was Grandson #4. It could have been any one of the 7 guys.

In my young life I was never aware of any of the civil unrest of today, and I enjoyed friends of every race, creed, color and age, as I do now. My world would lack flavor without them. And as far as having freedom as a woman, I never encountered anything from which I was excluded or discouraged. Perhaps it was different for you. We probably had more choices and more true freedom in those days than young people have today. Our world was safer and more sane.

Your lack of comprehension has caused you to be one of the first to call me rude or condescending. You certainly know how to take things out of context. My post referred primarily to the difficulty involving the girls' sizes. But the clothing we find in our area definitely lacks quality. I've never shopped or lived near a Nordstrom's, but I wish you well in your job there. Concentrate on choosing good quality clothing, and be careful who you judge and how you judge them. I leave you with a quote from a cherished letter, written by a very dear friend, "______, you have heart and courage and perception for which all your friends and relatives are truly grateful, especially this friend." And a P.S. from her husband, "my best to one of the truest ladies I have ever known. Affectionately, ________." His P.S. was written from the oval office. There was no mention of my being rude or condescending.

I wish you a life as blessed as mine has been, and children and grands as special and precious as mine, all of which I thank God for each day.

As I will be gone for a while, I wish you fond Adieu.

your implication that tattoos and piercings are somehow an indicator of questionable pride and self worth is offensive! My daughter, too, was an honor student with a full ride academic scholarship but guess what? She has tattoos! She has piercings! clearly you're not as worldly or evolved as you seem to think you are
Esteemed Contributor

If a person chooses to have lots of obvious tattoos or multiple piercings in the less traditionall places, they have to realize that many people find them unprofessional and/or tra$hy looking. Any adult can get whatever they want on their body and other people are entitled to their opinions.

Contributor

As someone with a very tall teen daughter I feel your pain.

She has been blessed with a very protective older brother who would tell her as a young teen that she shouldn't wear certain things out of the house. This usually happened because she had grown and something that used to fit no longer did.

We are most successful finding clothes that properly fit her (tall sized) at JC Penney, Old Navy and Alloy(dot)com. Alloy is great, they have pants in multiple inseams, up to 37". Some of their clothes are racier but they have good modest basics too.

I also work in a middle school so I see many "fashion victims".

Most of the girls who are dressed inappropriately are actually wearing higher priced clothing. Some pieces would never be appropriate for school but others need to be worn with a cami or layered. I do believe some girls especially the younger 6th graders don't realize what they are doing but there are many 8th graders who are purposely wearing clothes especially shorts and leggings, many sizes too small.

Honored Contributor

On 8/23/2014 colliegirls said:

If a person chooses to have lots of obvious tattoos or multiple piercings in the less traditionall places, they have to realize that many people find them unprofessional and/or tra$hy looking. Any adult can get whatever they want on their body and other people are entitled to their opinions.

making a judgement call on how a person lives their life based solely on a visible tattoo or piercing is absurd and frankly a form of bigotry.you are certainly entitled to your opinion and how it relates to you and your body but to assume that a person is 'trashy' is blatantly wrong
Esteemed Contributor

My teen daughter is tall also, we just purchased several pairs of jeans and slacks for the school year from Old Navy. Its nice to have the option of a tall length, especially in the basics.

Trusted Contributor

I don't remember having an issue with the fashions or material dressing my step daughter around that age. But I do remember (this was mid-2000s) that it was trendy for t-shirts to have suggestive sayings or offensive/foul language on them. That was the only battle we picked.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Super Contributor

On 8/22/2014 Andreatoo said:
On 8/22/2014 Perkup said:
On 8/21/2014 ryleighbell94 said:
On 8/21/2014 Perkup said:

I have lots of grandchildren, but have most difficulty dressing two college freshmen, one who is 4'11" and another who is 5'11". Both with great figures, but with definite size issues in terms of length. We shop everywhere, and there isn't much quality out there. It's like they expect everyone who is 16 or 17 to wear these high/low styles, tissue thin fabrics that can't possibly hold up for more than 2 or 3 washings, jeans that show a little too much, and forget the leggings which show it all when you bend over to pick up a book.

We were not allowed to wear pants to school - had to be dresses or skirts. No flip flops, no high heels, no shorts (unless they were under a dress). Tops were mostly short sleeve crew neck sweaters, and pearls were ok, but nothing else. Everyone looked good - no one looked they just came off Hooker Highway. Life was easier then.

My girls aren't into disposable dressing, so finding quality clothing isn't easy. Given their differing heights, everything is either too short or too long. Whatever happened to having a fun shopping trip?

Having spent quite a fair bit of time in my original post trying to help the OP understand the clothing market for people my age, I find this post to be entirely rude, condescending, and a perfect example of the attitude the OP should avoid when shopping with a teenager.

For the sake of brevity, I am not going to repeat myself as far as the quality of manufacturing in clothing for teenagers - it is more durable than you think.

Not all jeans show too much - in fact, most jeans, even though I'm tall myself, sit right below my bellybutton, which is a perfect place to be for a young person (any higher and they become high-waters - not an attractive look on a young person at all). If you have issues with the style, pick a pair of boot cut jeans rather than skinny jeans, leggings, or jeggings - jeans are incredibly versatile and they are offered in many different styles for just this reason.

You dressed extremely conservatively, correct? You also grew up during a different era, and one, that I might add, was most likely ripe with civil unrest and was far more oppressive towards women and their freedom to express themselves compared to now. The fact you weren't able to wear pants to school says it all.

I don't fault you for finding this style appealing because it's what you know, but if you are old enough to have grandchildren it is rather idealistic to think the standards of fashion would remain the same throughout your adolescence to the current day, and quite frankly it's unfair to hold your grandchildren to these same standards. Making blanket statements about fashion as it is today is not fair to the industry or your grandchildren, and makes you come off as incredibly judgmental.

As far as the phrase "Hooker Highway" - this speaks volumes about how close-minded you are about modern day teenage fashion. I would hope you don't use phrases like this in front of your grandchildren when they show you a piece of clothing they like. This kind of language has the power to ruin a teenager's self-esteem.

I work as a buyer for Nordstrom's Juniors department, and one thing I always tell older adults who are frustrated when shopping for their younger teens is that if the item is something the parent would wear, it's probably not going to be something that interests a teenager (nor will it be age-appropriate, most of the time). I usually say this to parents, but it rings even more true for grandparents given the considerable age gap.

OP, do NOT approach shopping with your granddaughter with a close-minded attitude like this - it will ruin the experience. Keep an open mind, a relaxed attitude, and avoid imposing your personal style from your own adolescence onto her.

Although I don't think there is really a need for me to answer your post or for your unnecessary criticism, I wish to address some of your erroneous thinking. There is no need for me to "understand" that styles have changed. Likewise, there is no need to remind me that morals have changed since I was young. For the better? I think not. Yes, things are looser now in all the worst ways, but nothing seems really better. You might be interested in knowing that the term "Hooker Highway" is not mine. It came from a 22 year old grandson, who said that "the girls in his classes look like they just came off Hooker Highway".

There is a gap with my grands in terms of years (I just turned 80), but not much of a gap in our thinking. I am actually more liberal with them than their own parents. The girls like quality clothing, made of good fabrics, well constructed, and leaving something to the imagination. In terms of dresses, today's styles are exactly what I wore - sleeveless sheaths, covered with cardigans - with or without buttons.Since you work in the fashion industry, you should be aware of this. By the way, we did wear jeans to school (our choice) if we were staying for a home football game on Fridays.

My children and grands are not prudes, but they have pride in who they are, how they dress, how they behave, etc. Every one of them has attended the college of their choice on full scholarships - academic, athletic, music. The youngest is an honor student in high school. Those who have graduated college are all employed beyond even my expectations. They don't drink more than an occasional beer - they don't smoke - they don't hang out in bars, and the girls don't walk around looking like they just walked out of one. No tattoos, no piercings. Good choices do not know one generation from another. I was raised to be a lady - I've tried to pass that on to my GDs and I've tried to see that my GSs behave like gentlemen.

May I share with you some words from a magazine published by a large University, and written by the wife of a relatively young man who was visiting to decide whether to take on an important position there. A direct quote from the magazine: "While walking through the _____ we came upon a student who was also walking through." (He asked if he could help them, and then instead of just pointing to places they asked about, he stopped what he was doing and showed them around.) "He was very polite and courteous, but quiet with his yes ma'am and no sir. He was patient when we asked questions. It made an impression that he took the time to show total strangers the University's facilities. At the time we had no idea that he was a football player, and he had no idea who we were." (In the end he made sure they got back to their starting point.) "We were very impressed, and I thought to myself, 'That's what I want for my children'." You would recognize the names involved. The young man was Grandson #4. It could have been any one of the 7 guys.

In my young life I was never aware of any of the civil unrest of today, and I enjoyed friends of every race, creed, color and age, as I do now. My world would lack flavor without them. And as far as having freedom as a woman, I never encountered anything from which I was excluded or discouraged. Perhaps it was different for you. We probably had more choices and more true freedom in those days than young people have today. Our world was safer and more sane.

Your lack of comprehension has caused you to be one of the first to call me rude or condescending. You certainly know how to take things out of context. My post referred primarily to the difficulty involving the girls' sizes. But the clothing we find in our area definitely lacks quality. I've never shopped or lived near a Nordstrom's, but I wish you well in your job there. Concentrate on choosing good quality clothing, and be careful who you judge and how you judge them. I leave you with a quote from a cherished letter, written by a very dear friend, "______, you have heart and courage and perception for which all your friends and relatives are truly grateful, especially this friend." And a P.S. from her husband, "my best to one of the truest ladies I have ever known. Affectionately, ________." His P.S. was written from the oval office. There was no mention of my being rude or condescending.

I wish you a life as blessed as mine has been, and children and grands as special and precious as mine, all of which I thank God for each day.

As I will be gone for a while, I wish you fond Adieu.

your implication that tattoos and piercings are somehow an indicator of questionable pride and self worth is offensive! My daughter, too, was an honor student with a full ride academic scholarship but guess what? She has tattoos! She has piercings! clearly you're not as worldly or evolved as you seem to think you are

I couldn't agree with you more about the tattoos - they are absolutely NOT an indicator of pride and self-worth.

When someone chooses to display something, permanently, on their body, only to have another person judge them for it, it's basically the equivalent of making a ham sandwich for yourself only to have a person whom you've never met come up and tell you that you can't have it because THEY don't like ham!

Having read the initial diatribe with the tattoos again, I am really struggling to see, with the exception of a few points that were clarified from the original response, how any of the quoted material serves any purpose in this thread other than to laud the poster and her grandchildren.

I may receive backlash, but that is just my opinion.

Super Contributor

On 8/23/2014 morganjen said:

I don't remember having an issue with the fashions or material dressing my step daughter around that age. But I do remember (this was mid-2000s) that it was trendy for t-shirts to have suggestive sayings or offensive/foul language on them. That was the only battle we picked.

Yep, couldn't agree more with this!

Unfortunately this still seems to be a trend that never died out, even though most of us young people wish it would {#emotions_dlg.glare}

I believe I said something similar about graphic tees in my very first post on this thread.

I'm not really sure who decided graphic tees with slogans were cute, but I personally wouldn't be caught dead in most of them because they're either kitschy, offensive, or both, and that's not a good look on anyone {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Honored Contributor

Hmm. Ladies, I do believe we have a Troll and a delusional one at that.

Don't feed it or get pulled in to its... issues.

OP: I hope you were able to find clothing that is not only stylish but also appropriate for the teens.

Have a great one!