Trusted Contributor

Re: do you think ...what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger?

Struggles are part of life. These "storms" of life are only for a season. Once you get through them, you come out on the other side stronger - and better. Going through the storm is tough...probably one of the hardest things you'll go through. It's all for a reason. And sometimes we don't know the reason.

I also believe that through the struggles, you learn things. And we use what we learn to become witnesses to others eventually. We pass along our knowledge of our struggle to one another. And help others through the storm.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/6/2015 kelsey17 said:

No....don't believe that saying.....also don't believe the saying that "God doesn't give us anything we can't handle"...................it would be a lovely world if that was true...but it is not.

I used to say the same thing. But think about it. God doesn't give you more than you can handle. Ask yourself this....is your heart still beating? Are you still alive? If you couldn't handle it, you would be dead.

I believe God uses the storms in our lives to bring us to Him. To learn how to depend on Him, not other people. Cause people WILL let you down. Always.

He will never let you down. Never.

Respected Contributor

No! Most times, what doesn't kill us just doesn't kill us!!!!
Respected Contributor

I am not a fan of bumper sticker phrases. So my reply would be a resounding NO.....

Honored Contributor

I think we learn and gain strength from adversity. I honestly cannot say that I ever learned anything from something that was given to me or came to easily. The life lessons that have benefitted me the most have been lessons that I learned after struggle or a painful time in my life. If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach the man how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. I truly do believe in that concept. But...to be honest...when it came to my own children, I wanted them to have an easy life. I knew that they needed to learn how to deal with adversity but I didn't want them to have any adversity or struggles in their lives.

Respected Contributor

No; some people are dished out nothing but c-r-a-p over and over and over again. After a while, you just take it in stride but it wears on you. It my not kill you, but it makes you sick of life.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/26/2014 cairnlover said:

People say this to make others who are going through difficult times feel better. It is not true. I will always be haunted by the difficult times in my life.

You are correct. Really hard or tragic times wear a person down. It can be a daily struggle. If I have to gain strength by having difficult times, I would rather be weak.

Honored Contributor

no

Honored Contributor

I completely agree that this applies to me, but I do not think it applies to everyone---based on what I have seen through other family members and friends. For me personally, the biggest challenges I have faced in life have indeed made me a stronger, wiser, more confident person. I also feel I am a more compassionate person, and that I listen more to hear what is coming from a persons heart, and not just through their words. Having been touched deeply by a close family members suicide, I was able to reach out to 2 friends who also experienced suicides with family members, and both continue to mention my comforting words to them everytime we see each other. How we use what we have learned also makes a big difference in our lives.

Honored Contributor

I think it can mean that if you survive something tough then that might help you handle other tough situations. In those terms I would agree with it.