Esteemed Contributor

Re: do you think ...what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger?

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I’ve learned a lot either way. I’ve had times where overcoming difficulties made me stronger but I’ve also had the kind that left me more fragile.

Valued Contributor

On 11/2/2014 chiclet said:

I am not sure if it makes you any stronger but it definitely changes you and your thinking and attitudes. For some it might change you for the worse and some for the better. We are what we have been through.

For example Christmas as a child was not a pleasant experience. As hard as I tried to pretend through the years and go through the motions I cannot get rid of the dread of the holidays. The happiest day of the year for me is January 1 when it is all over. So I don't think my bad childhood made me stronger. It just made me what I am today.

Ms. Chiclet.....is so right.

My husband was raised in a very poor family, in those times (early 70s/early 80s) they did not have all the "churches, and community groups" that go into the poor parts of North Carolina and give Xmas gifts to the needy. So he grew up getting nothing for very little for Xmas. So when we started dating and I learned how the holidays were down times for him, I started to buy him lots of xmas gift in so the entire tree would be filled with all these different gifts for him (and me of course)...but socks, ties, hats, jerseys, etc. and you would be surprised the joy that a man could show. Your childhood does affect your life in many many ways.

Super Contributor

I think that is a saying that is supposed to make you feel like you are gaining something other than coronary disease and anxiety from hard times.
Super Contributor

For some people that old saying may be true, but there are other things that mar us for life. Everyone is different. Minor stresses that we live through make us stronger, but many major stresses can give us PTSD, may drive some people right into the psych ward (or what people like to call a "nervous breakdown"), turns some people into alcoholics or drug addicts, or may cause some people to take their own life...or the lives of others. The human psyche is very fragile. You cannot just put a band aid on mental anguish.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Regular Contributor

On 11/2/2014 Grade1Teach said:
On 11/2/2014 sunnybrook said:
On 11/2/2014 Krissie22 said:
On 11/1/2014 sunnybrook said:</ span> ITA with the original poster. I've had bad and good. But, the last stretch of bad was the end of my being able to pull myself up anymore. And, no I'm not physically I'll, just broken.</ span>

Sunnybrook, I know the feeling. Sending you a cyber hug, in case that helps even for a minute.

You're sweet. Thank you.</ blockquote>

sunnybrook - I'm sorry you are feeling this way. Please know you are not alone. I am going through a similar feeling of "brokenness". I don't know how I'll work my way out of it, but somehow I know I will. I hope you find the strength to do the same. You deserve more than this!

You, too, are sweet. Thanks.
Valued Contributor

On 11/2/2014 Coffee Gal said:

I sure hope so, at my age of 58, I am going thru something right now, that shook my soul to its core, I hope it will make me stronger. This is something that I never thought in my wildest dreams would be happening.. But it is.. and as a mother and my oldest son being almost 35, the mothering and instinct of protecting him and supporting him is stronger and the hopefully the truth will prevail.. It has to..

I'm a mother of 4. I think I can relate. I wish I had words of wisdom , all I can say is, to take good care of yourself.
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/2/2014 IControlMyHappiness said:
On 11/2/2014 chiclet said:

I am not sure if it makes you any stronger but it definitely changes you and your thinking and attitudes. For some it might change you for the worse and some for the better. We are what we have been through.

For example Christmas as a child was not a pleasant experience. As hard as I tried to pretend through the years and go through the motions I cannot get rid of the dread of the holidays. The happiest day of the year for me is January 1 when it is all over. So I don't think my bad childhood made me stronger. It just made me what I am today.

Ms. Chiclet.....is so right.

My husband was raised in a very poor family, in those times (early 70s/early 80s) they did not have all the "churches, and community groups" that go into the poor parts of North Carolina and give Xmas gifts to the needy. So he grew up getting nothing for very little for Xmas. So when we started dating and I learned how the holidays were down times for him, I started to buy him lots of xmas gift in so the entire tree would be filled with all these different gifts for him (and me of course)...but socks, ties, hats, jerseys, etc. and you would be surprised the joy that a man could show. Your childhood does affect your life in many many ways.

{#emotions_dlg.wub} So sweet!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/2/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

I have been in the lowest depths of despair and in the highest highs in my life. Sure, it'd be nice to not have to go through those trials but what would I be like today?

I work with the poor and it reminds me every day that my struggles are nothing compared to theirs. I can't imagine worrying about feeding my kids at night... or deciding if I'm going to buy boots for the kids this winter or have heat in my home...or deciding if I'll have enough money to buy my disabled kid the medication he needs. and more.

I've seen too many people who never had to work for anything or struggle through anything. They think the world revolves around them and that someone should always be there to take care of them. That's not for me.

Life is not easy. But if you understand that there is a lot more to life than human beings know, it makes our struggles look miniscule.

Wow, Calm, you know the key to real happiness..helping others, feeling you have made a difference when you go to bed at night, and YOU have! Bless you!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

No.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

No....don't believe that saying.....also don't believe the saying that ""God doesn't give us anything we can't handle""...................it would be a lovely world if that was true...but it is not.