Trusted Contributor

Re: do you think ...what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger?

Great post and question, I don't know. I know stress is not good for us and ages us so being stronger I don't know. I just want as little stress as possible and I am learning to just be careful what I say. My friends that know me trust me and that is great but others stress me out on purpose at times and that is so unfair.

Frequent Contributor

I have been through a lot of trauma, grief and loss and it has made me more fragile, not stronger. The people who are struggling with issues and seeking the help of mental health professionals are not the ones who had a secure happy life but those who have had to deal with extreme stress and loss. So, no, I don't believe in the aphorism that "whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger."

Valued Contributor

I don't know who to give credit for the quote but I have heard it said that "adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it. I think that is so true. Hard times are when we learn a lot about not only ourselves but about those around us. I have a friend who has overcome a lot and I mean a lot. Unfortunately, it left her with such a severe case of anxiety/fear that she is not able to enjoy the stability and good things she now has in her life. So as another poster mentioned, sometimes it does come down to counseling to get there.

Super Contributor

Resilience relies on sublimation and creativity. It goes beyond just adapting. Resilience changes traumatic experience into generating constructive productivity. This is seen so often when we see someone who has lost a child and later works with groups of those who have had similar experiences.

Honored Contributor

NO.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

On 10/29/2014 EGW said:

I don't know who to give credit for the quote but I have heard it said that "adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it. I think that is so true. Hard times are when we learn a lot about not only ourselves but about those around us. I have a friend who has overcome a lot and I mean a lot. Unfortunately, it left her with such a severe case of anxiety/fear that she is not able to enjoy the stability and good things she now has in her life. So as another poster mentioned, sometimes it does come down to counseling to get there.

I think you are right!
Regular Contributor

ITA with the original poster. I've had bad and good. But, the last stretch of bad was the end of my being able to pull myself up anymore. And, no I'm not physically I'll, just broken.
Esteemed Contributor

Interesting thread. I prefer to think life isn't always easy, but life is good. Some people go through incredibly difficult trials. A quote comes to mind, author unknown to me -- these are the times that try mens' souls -- I have compassion for people who are wounded and battered.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Frequent Contributor

I don't believe that whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Think about all the people suffering from PTSD.

Regular Contributor

No. It just hasn't killed you yet.