Honored Contributor

Re: darker or lighter eyeglass frames?

@SilleeMeeDon't give the cosmetics manufacturers ideas! lol

"Does your nose give away your age? Do you have 'old nose syndrome?' Our targeted treatment gel creme will rejuvinate your nose, bringing back the youthful contour we all crave. Schnozwort berry extract has been used for centuries in the Amazon basin to unlock undeniable nose beauty."

A dear friend of mine needs silicone nose pads on her glasses or she can't wear them. One day I noticed she was bleeding on the side of her nose, and it was because the pad had come off and she hadn't fixed it yet. It's a real problem for many people.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

LOL! Smiley LOL @Porcelain

Sorry for your friend. I know what's that's like, it happened to me, too. People were asking me: "What happened to your nose?"rolling eyes.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer darker frames.  I've been wearing eyeglasses for 68 years (YIKES!) ... and my tastes haven't changed all that much.  I only wear plastic frames (NO wire).   I still remember my first pair - first grade .... red plaid. 

I'm very fair with blonde hair and light green eyes.  I have three pairs of glasses (last three prescriptions didn't change and can still wear them).  

I need to wear glasses 24/7 ... and new frames are one of my three big splurges.  I generally get new glasses every few years.  They are a big part of my "look."   

First pair is rectangular - solid color called "mahogany" ... sort of a very dark amber colored.  Bvlgari frames.   I got these in 2009.

Next pair is also rectangular but a big softer on the corners ... dark red ... really jazzy.  Inside is black with white dots.   Jean LaFont Heritage frames.  I got these in 2013.

Newest is tortoise sides and bottom of frame, but black across the top.  Alain Mikli frames.  I got these in 2016.

I rotate among all three glasses ... depending on what clothes I'm wearing.

My SIL is a bit more racy with her frames.  Her most recent frames are bright green on the outside, bright orange on the inside.  The style/color are perfect for her look and personality.

Respected Contributor

I haven't had to wear glasses since my cataract surgery, but when I used to wear them, I always chose the lightest most mininalist look I could get.  I'm blonde, green-eyed, medium skin toned, but with a very small face.  Big or dark glasses look hideous on me, and I couldn't stand the extra weight on my face.  It shocks me to see so many people today with big black rimmed glasses.  I don't want people to see my glasses before they see anything else.  Just another fad, I guess.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I don't look good in dark frames, or large ones. My skin is very fair, and l have a small face. Dark frames overpower me-- l want people to focus on my eyes, and not the glasses. My current eyeglass frame is plastic, in a transparent, light amber tone. The black temples are a compromise, lol.

IMG_0259.JPG

For sunglasses though, l can wear larger, darker frames.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

I need to wear glasses 27/7 ... and new frames are one of my three big splurges.  I generally get new glasses every few years.  They are a big part of my "look."   

Wow @ALRATIBA. You have some really LONG days!  (Just teasing 😉💕)

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I need to wear glasses 27/7 ... and new frames are one of my three big splurges.  I generally get new glasses every few years.  They are a big part of my "look."   

Wow @ALRATIBA. You have some really LONG days!  (Just teasing 😉💕)

@shoesnbags

How funny!    You know ... some days it does feel like it's been 27 hours!  

(Thanks for catching that!)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Comfort is always first, since I wear them full-time. Second are dark frames to pop my light-to-medium green eye colo, plus my eyebrow tails have greatly decreased. Third is a decent-sized lens for my face - and because I have a progressive (multi-focal) prescription.

I have pale skin, deep brunette hair and brows, and my frames are black.

Honored Contributor

I have fair skin and blonde hair and very green eyes. I always go for darker frames. An assistant once said to me to try a frame that was lighter because I am fair. She put them on me stared a moment nd said NO, you were right. Darker is much better on you and called over some others to look

i am lucky that we have couple of locally owned shops with great frame selections nearby. We have lots to choose from. I especially like tortoise frames that Coach and Kate Spade make. I pretty much stick to those because they are smaller and fit well

Valued Contributor

I need to wear framed plastic glasses and just recently switched from gold wires.  I find my eyes are more defined with plastics and they are burgandy which coordinates with my brown-red hair and blue-green eyes.  Glad I switched.