Honored Contributor

Re: darker or lighter eyeglass frames?

wrote:

Mine are bright red, leaning slightly toward fuscia. They add color to my face and accentuate my blue eyes. My hair is very light. I get compliments all the time both from friends and strangers. It's not unusual for the same person to compliment them more than once saying "I like yout glasses" one day, and a few days later saying "I really like your glasses". 

@nomlessFrames in the pink, red or fuschia family act as blush to your cheeks. That’s one reason you find them complimentary. They’re also opposite the color wheel from your blue eyes making them stand out.

Contributor

I totally agree about the "contrast" issue.  I am fair, with light blonde hair and brown eyes.  I have beautiful wire frames, but recently went to Costco for a back-up pair of glasses, and found a pair that is a tortoise frame with a pink underside.  I love them.  They are comfortable and girlfriends tell me that they make me look younger!  Now THAT IS A NICE THING TO HEAR!  I still wear the wire rims with certain outfits, but I do love my tortoise frames.  The contrast is much better for me, I think.

Honored Contributor

I purchased some clear plastic cat-eye frames online about a year ago. Thought I would just love them. But I don't. It always looks to me like I need to put on more and darker eye makeup. And when I notice clear glasses frames on people on tv (don't really see them much out and about) they look sort of like safety or lab glasses at first glance. I keep going back to my old boring dark dark red, almost black, ones.

My favorite frames were double layered pink and black plastic, with the black cut away in spots to expose a bit of the pink. Loved those and got multiple compliments a day. Too bad they got brittle and broke! That's a real downside to plastic frames.

I agree that contrast looks best when it comes to glasses. If you can't immediately tell someone is wearing glasses, it sort of looks like an anomoly around the eye area at first glance. On the other hand, I sort of imagine that a contrasting outline is at first read as having huge eyes.

Also I think that contrast, especially darker contrast, distracts from wrinkles and shadows, making them appear lighter in comparison. Sort of the way a dark beauty mark does the same thing. (This is only speaking from my experience with my pale caucasian skin, but I'd bet that the contrast principle applies to everyone, just pick appropriate tones and colors for maximum contrast.)

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

wrote:

I totally agree about the "contrast" issue.  I am fair, with light blonde hair and brown eyes.  I have beautiful wire frames, but recently went to Costco for a back-up pair of glasses, and found a pair that is a tortoise frame with a pink underside.  I love them.  They are comfortable and girlfriends tell me that they make me look younger!  Now THAT IS A NICE THING TO HEAR!  I still wear the wire rims with certain outfits, but I do love my tortoise frames.  The contrast is much better for me, I think.

@rhinonana5   I have similar coloring to you, and I also have the same combination of frames.    I also think the "wires" are a little aging, but they are more dressy.   di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

When I went to pick out glasses last time I decided I wanted tortoise shell but all of them have a color on the sides now.The optician said that is the fashion now - just pick your favorite color. I said I wanted tortoise all over and he said he didn't have any all tortoise.So I chose purple because it is always a good color for me. There is some purple on the front and the sides are solid purple. Looks strange to me but I've seen several others who are wearing similar in various colors. What a strange thing to be in style.

Valued Contributor

I consider frame shape before anything else.  Then I think about colors.  I have a fair complexion and dark hair, and I enjoy 3 different pairs depending on my outfit and mood-- rimless and two fun colors--cranberry red and blue.  I seem to get the most compliments on the red ones. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@rhinonana5  IMO and I do have many, wire frames look old fashioned. Plastic frames w/ some color have a newer look.

Honored Contributor

Either you look good in high contrast or you don't. I have very fair skin, but I'm high contrast. I love my black frames. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I opt for frameless too and I wear Titanium because it is strong and light weight.. My bows are a bit  dark but they are very slendar

Honored Contributor

I don't know what happened but seems like the bridge of my nose has lost volume in the skin there and the glasses I used to wear hurt my nose terribly. I can no longer wear them and had to go for a lighter frameless set. For me frameless, ultra-thin frame or half-frame glasses are the only kind I can wear these days. Guess I have 'old nose' syndrome...lol!Woman LOL