Honored Contributor

Re: darker or lighter eyeglass frames?

@151949  Try them on and see what looks good.  That is the best way.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

Dark! Tortoise shell is my favorite, but I've had black, red, purple. I can't even recall all of them. I get new glasses E/O year and fortunately my prescription has changed very little. Therefore I can wear all of my glasses. I like a bold frame best, but I also have some rimless (?) wire frames. Glasses are another accessory for me - fun to change, like clothing or jewelry!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee:   thought you might like to try the following...

There are different types of bridges for eyeglasses, including the 'saddle' and the 'keyhole" (what fits me best) as well.

HTH   8-)

Low Bridge Fit

Hello, long-lasting comfort. Low Bridge Fit frames are crafted for those with low nose bridges (if the bridge of your nose sits level with or below the pupils), wide faces, and/or high cheekbones.

What's special about Low Bridge Fit frames?

Well, first off: They minimize frames sliding down your nose, resting on your cheeks, or any pinching.

Large nose pads

Nose pads should rest on the sides of the nose and not directly on the slope of the nose in between the eyes. Large nose pads ensure the frame sits where it should for zero tension and zero slipping down the nose.

Adjusted lens tilt

Frames are most comfortable when they don’t rest right on the cheeks or move when you smile. We’ve pushed out the tilt of the lens (just a bit) to give plenty of space between the cheekbones and frames.

Slightly curved temples

A subtle arch in the temples (the arms of the frame) makes for a wide temple-to-temple distance and an ultra-roomy fit. So long, pinching.

Honored Contributor

First I pick the color I want and it's usually whatever happens to be my favorite color at the time, then they have to be metal frames and finally the shape.

I tried a pair of the tortoise shell but they could never get them to fit me right and I had to get another pair, kept the tortoise as a back-up pair.

What I really dislike is that most every pair of frames has the little spring attachment where the arms attach to the lens, once it breaks there is no way to have it fixed.  All it takes is a drop on the floor for it to break.  I've done it three times with three different pair.

Esteemed Contributor

I wear progressives and I have astigmatism so I need larger frames.  With my gray hair and blue eyes, I find tortoise on top and turquoise on the bottom are flattering.  I am a Zenni girl.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like both and have one of each. One pair of mine is tortishell on the top and it blends into a lighter translucent blush shade on the bottom. I don't care for rimless or nose pads. I think they look dated so I look for plastic or acrylic. Right now I'm looking for a cool toned or totally clear pair.

Trusted Contributor

I’m blonde with blue eyes and just got two new pairs of glasses. They both are similar but different— but mostly are burgundy colored. I think this color looks alright on me and others have complimented them, including the person attending me while I chose them. I wear them for driving and watching tv. I have readers for reading. Don’t like to wear glasses all the time. 

Honored Contributor

I have blonde hair, green eyes and fair leaning toward medium skin.  My glasses are purple.  They really make my eyes greener.

But, I am a contact lense wearer.  I only put my glasses on at night and first thing in the morning.  I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn glasses out of the house. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not speaking for everyone, but for me, framless glasses make me look at least 10 years older.