Honored Contributor

darker or lighter eyeglass frames?

[ Edited ]

The eyebrow thread brought me to wonder about glasses frames.  Mine are tortoise shell and a bit larger because I need trifocals. 

My previous frames were a soft pink that kinda dissappeared against my skin and I really liked them.They were no longer available or I would have gotten them again. 

Black is too stark against my very fair skin.

What do you consider when buying frames for your glasses?

Honored Contributor

Re: darker or lighter eyeglass frames?

I'm old-fashioned, I guess.  I still prefer frameless, with titanium ear pieces.

Respected Contributor

I have blonde hair and fair skin and I love the contrast.  I match my glasses to my outfits.  I wear black a lot and on those days, I have on my black glasses.  Thanks to Zenni, I have a lot of colors in glasses.  I love changing it up.  I do have a pair that match my hair but I find that I don't reach for those very often.  I don't like it when everything blends in. 

Respected Contributor

I have blonde hair and fair skin.  I have a pair of tortoise shell glasses.  I constantly receive compliments on them.  I tried the wire ones, but they seemed flimsy to me.  I wanted something substatial because I take them on and off during the day.  I like to wear them when I’m driving or shopping and I wear my readers at home because I don’t need them to watch tv or walk around. 

Honored Contributor

I prefer to speak with someone that has on frameless glasses.  It's less destracting.  

Also, having allergies, I've found that frameless put less weight on my face.  I also don't want to add dark around my eyes when women try to deal with dark circles under the eye anyway.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got my first pair of glasses when I was 4 (contacts since I was 16).  Nice frames for kids were rare back then, and the budget was tight.... When the rx changed, I got lenses to fit the frames.  When a frame broke, I had to get the same frame because the lenses would fit.  I had the most hideous glasses for so many years, that I only buy minimalist frames now.... very thin metal frames, in neutral or bright colors, or framless when I can.  I prefer people to see my face, rather than glasses.   As for color, black is too harsh on me (I'm very fair), and tortoise shell brings me back to the bad days of ugly!   

Respected Contributor

Mine are bright red, leaning slightly toward fuscia. They add color to my face and accentuate my blue eyes. My hair is very light. I get compliments all the time both from friends and strangers. It's not unusual for the same person to compliment them more than once saying "I like yout glasses" one day, and a few days later saying "I really like your glasses". 

Valued Contributor

Cat eyes, frames one pair  dark and light purple in abstract animal print,second pair  black and gray( looks like marble) frames.

Respected Contributor

When my hair was dark, I wore darker frames as a matter of course. Now that my hair is gray, I really love darker frames with some sort of pattern. I like the contrast with my hair and my fair skin (brows & lashes are still dark). I'm due for a new pair, and I'm going back to plastic. Got metal the last time, and they're pretty but plainer than I like. I like frame all the way around my eyes, too.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

The eyebrow thread brought me to wonder about glasses frames.  Mine are tortoise shell and a bit larger because I need trifocals. 

My previous frames were a soft pink that kinda dissappeared against my skin and I really liked them.They were no longer available or I would have gotten them again. 

Black is too stark against my very fair skin.

What do you consider when buying frames for your glasses?

@151949. ...a question I faced when I let my hair go white. With my dark hair and fair skin, I always wore black or tortoise frames. White hair, white skin, what to do? My 1st thought was lighter frames, but NO, I still needed the darker frames for contrast.