Honored Contributor

Loss of collagen and elastin usually will cause the skin to appear crepey. Non-surgical treatments with lasers or microneedling may help improve skin's texture by inducing collagen and elastin production in the skin and make it appear smoother with less crepiness and fine lines. Both of these procedures can be done by professionals and at home if you have the tools and knowledge to do it.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm 67 and just this summer I got the crepey arms and legs. Exfoliation is key and then applying a good firming body lotion. I have been using philosophy olive oil body scrub and follow with their body lotion.It does help, but you have to do it religiously.

Trusted Contributor

Re: crepey arms

[ Edited ]

This Cerave helped my arms like nothing else when it comes to looking crepey. It's very much like a treatment not just a cream. I use Josie Maran because I like it but it doesn't do anything but feel moisturizing on my arms & legs. I don't see any benefits from it. I think it was only about $12 at Walmart. I was so tempted to buy the First Aid Beauty TSV but I didn't. I just need to stock up on Cerave.  

910JWnZAr+L._SY355_.jpg

Honored Contributor

IMO, the only thing that you do yourself for crepey skin is to keep it moisturized, which might lessen the crepey appearance.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

JM argan body butter works some if I keep reapplying all day but Consult Beaute Champagne Beaute Lift Firming Creme just about eliminates it and the longer I've been using it the better my arms (and knees) look.  Some just try something for a few weeks and say it doesn't work but the key is to keep using a product.  Some also just use a product when they are going out (reasoning is so they don't waste the product when just staying home and can save money since the product lasts longer) but they don't get the benefit of the product that is meant to be used consistently.    

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@erichu wrote:

does anyone have any recommendations for a product for crepey skin on the arms? I hate not being able to wear sleeveless when its 90 degrees, but my arms look much older than my face and I'm very self conscious. Thanks for any suggestions!

To answer the OP's original question, there are products on the market which claim to eliminate crepey arms but I've never heard of anyone being happy with one.  The loss of elasticity cannot be cured with a beauty product; maybe plastic surgery?

@Kachina624. I’ve gotten the same answer when asking a derm about crepey areas. A lot of the problem is age & loss of elasticity, also sun damage from younger years, & dry skin, etc. She said the most we can do is exfoliate regularly (I use Josie’s sugar scrub or any drugstore product) & a very rich moisturizer...JM Whipped Body Butter, Cerve....I don’t see much difference except the added moisture makes the skin look healthier even though still crepey. 🤔

Respected Contributor

I don't think that there is much on the market that will eliminate crepey skin even though many products claim to do so. Someone a few months ago recommended Vanicream. I am almost through the big tub and it hasn't done anything. Also crepiness has nothing to do with muscle tone. That comes from a breakdown of our collagen often related to sun exposure. It certainly doesn't hurt to continue to work those guns with some type of workout. At 68 I have decided oh so what! I expose my arms to a certain extent. 

Super Contributor

dry brushing is a great way to exfoliate and stimulate circulation . I also us a loofah type product in the shower.

I use vanici-cream in the pump jar, I have also used vani-cream light and vani cream lotion. They all work, The vani cream in the pump jar is best used at night, under flannel pajamas. It is very thick and has vaseline in it. In the AM you are go to go out, nice plumped up skin. You have to keep at it. I am 67 and everything is just about drooping.

My mo at 87 was in the hospital for a long time recuperating from an operation and I brought a boatload of Philosophy products into the long term care hospital. Nice pump jars of hand wash, hand cream, little bottles of cologne. and big pump containers of their amazing grace body cream.( and the loves, and pure grace etc) The nurses and aides loved going into her room and putting stuff on, and wow, did her skin look fabulous. She was getting a lot of attention and the stafff kept putting it on her. My mother said to me =those girls sure do love this stuff and that amused her.She was a basic dove soap type. but she lloked great.

well, long story short. maintenance and consistency.

Contributor

I am honestly not trying to start a war. But I’m sitting here tonight thinking of a wonderful friend that I can no longer talk to about such things. 

I know aging is difficult and nobody really tells us what to expect except crows feet and hot flashes. But after losing too many friends in their 40s to terminal diseases,  car accidents and just plain bad luck I just have to say that it is a privilege to be able to grow old. And I think we forget that. 

It it is painful to see the changes. Hair gets thinner, hormones are off kilter and the aches and pains from doing normal activities gets depressing  I look at photos of myself in my 20s and wonder what on earth I was complaining about. I looked great bit always found something wrong with me. My thighs were too heavy or my nose too big. 

But when I find myself bemoaning what looks back at me in the mirror or realize in the family photos that, yes, it’s obvious I’m the Grandma, I remember that I’m so lucky to be here with my family and friends. Yes, I hate the lines on my face and the crepey skin on my arms. But I’m HERE and enjoying each day having great conversations with my grandkids and making new friends and am very grateful. So many friends I laughed with and shared wonderful times with are not and to realize they missed all the big milestones - their kid’s wedding and births of grandchildren - is heartbreaking. 

Again my intention wasn’t to lecture or make light of anyone’s concerns about things like this. I just wanted to add a different perspective. I will never look 35 again. And that’s ok. 

Now if someone figures out a solution to this problem I’m all ears☺️

Thanks for letting me say this. 

Regular Contributor

Forest......I agree with everything you said and constantly feel guilty that these things bother me. My friend, who is 37, was just diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. Devastating and horrific. I know caring about signs of aging is superficial, I wish I didn't care.