Honored Contributor

Is there a difference in the hair color you buy from cvs, rite aid etc... or from a beauty supply store?

Is it better....or about the same?????

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

You can buy the color and the toner separately in a beauty supply store

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

The drug store sells what you need for one use in a box.  The work is done for you.  The beauty store you have more thinking to mix up the concoction.  LOL.  At least that was my experience.

Trusted Contributor

I have been coloring my hair for many years, and have used the kits from drug stores as well as "professional" color from Sally Beauty.   I find the kits are harder on my hair, drying and a little brassy in the color ( I use light blond).  The components from Sally are super easy to mix.  The sales staff helped me the first time, and now I just get what I need.  I find the cost to be the same, or maybe a bit cheaper at Sally Beauty. 

Respected Contributor

I can make my own color mix at beauty supply vs whatever tint they put in box color. And I know how much lift I will get when I color because they sell 10, 20, 30 and higher volume developers separately.  

The drugstore dye boxes rarely tell you the strength of developer in box color. It's usually too wimpy for brunettes who want to lighten,  for example.   Thats why you get a brassy result.  Those color pics on the box showing what your hair will look like are joke.

Trusted Contributor

I use the Aging Beautiful color and the 20 developer from Sally and like it.  It is often buy one get one free and sometimes I have coupons, too. I got a bagful of product the last time I was there for 8.95 and it will last at least six months as I just do my roots. 

Honored Contributor

@catlover  Are you aware of the salon that does ONLY color at a lower price than regular beauty salons?  I can't think of the name of it but there is one not from my home (I no longer color my hair).  I know that color from beauty salons is quite expensive now probably because all the baby boomers are coloring their hair.  I think it is ridiculous what they charge for mixing a color and pouring it on your head.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength