Regular Contributor

Re: anyone polish their nails at home?

I do mine at home every week, on Sunday evening after dishes are done, face washed, etc. I take an emery board after my nailes are filed and very lightly ruff up the surface of my nails to give the base coat something to stick to.  Again, it is VERY lightly.  I clean off with alcohol and do a base coat, 2 coats of color and a top coat.  My polish lasts until Friday evening/Saturday am. when I take it off.  I use all brands of polish, Revlon, Sally Hansen, OPI, Avon and they all pretty much last for me.  My hubby  taught me that little trick years ago and ever since I've not had problems.  

I am a secretary so I file every day at my job, type, etc.  When my nailes are polished I do use gloves at home if I do dishes by hand or if I am working out in the yard/garden.

Honored Contributor

I do my own nails.

I use Revlon Quick Dry Base Coat that makes the nail a bit tacky to hold the polish.

Image result for revlon base coat nail polish

After two coats of OPI polish,

I use Revlon Extra Shine No Chip top Coat.

Image result for revlon extra shine top coat nail polish

To dry, I use a spray from Sally Beauty that's less than $3.00.  A light mist, then 5 min later I spray closely until the nail "frosts".  I read and watch tv and it sets rock hard.

Nail Polish Dryer Spray

My nails last about two weeks using gloves to wash pots and pans.

Respected Contributor

thanks to all that answered. lots of good suggestions, i'm going to try. i'm off to add a few items to my nail collection. 

Regular Contributor

I have been doing my own nails for quite a while now. I recently decided to go "5 free" or "7 free" which means they don't have some of the harmful chemicals in them like most brands do. I like OPI Infinate Shine, Essie Gel polish, Deborah Lippmann & Julep. The main thing that I think helps my polish last is Essie Gel Top Coat. I use that over any of the above polishes. Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

I do my own nails.  My only issue is that my nails grow so quick, I have new growth within a week and have to redo them.

I use Sally Hansen base coat, Avon polish and then the same Sally Hansen as a top coat.  Every other day or two I add a fresh top coat.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get my (natural) nails done every 2 weeks.  In between I do a polish change not because of chips, rather I grow tired of the color.  I use Orly Bonder as a base coat, then 2 coats of polish and a top coat. I seldom have chips and I clean, knit, play piano, etc.

It is true, some nails seem  adverse to nail polish.  Softer nails bend, causing polish to crack, then chip or peel.

Years ago when I removed my acrylic nails, I used Nailtiques 2 as a base coat.  Occasionally I still go back to it.

Respected Contributor

I have used Sally Hansen's Nail Growth Miracle for years....absolutely love that stuff.

I always do my own nails.....it relaxes me and I use OPI and Julep nail polishes.

Respected Contributor

i started using Color Street nail polish stripes. they really last, for me.

Regular Contributor

@pegsue wrote:

I do mine at home every week, on Sunday evening after dishes are done, face washed, etc. I take an emery board after my nailes are filed and very lightly ruff up the surface of my nails to give the base coat something to stick to.  Again, it is VERY lightly.  I clean off with alcohol and do a base coat, 2 coats of color and a top coat.  My polish lasts until Friday evening/Saturday am. when I take it off.  I use all brands of polish, Revlon, Sally Hansen, OPI, Avon and they all pretty much last for me.  My hubby  taught me that little trick years ago and ever since I've not had problems.  

I am a secretary so I file every day at my job, type, etc.  When my nailes are polished I do use gloves at home if I do dishes by hand or if I am working out in the yard/garden.

Thank you for the tips.  I have tried expensive polishes and inexpensive polishes and found that they all last about the same.  (Don't last).  I am going to try your routine.  Was wondering though ~ I use crystal files on my nails ~ do you think that would work as well as an emory board?

Esteemed Contributor

I have always done my own nails ....

I do mine at night...an hour or two before bed when I am watching TV..... I think it lasts longer because it has awhile to really 'set' .