Esteemed Contributor

Re: anyone polish their nails at home?

I do my own nails. Sunday night while I watch TV is a perfect time. On Wednesday, I'll do some file touch up since nails grow quickly and will put another coat on if some has chipped off. Use Sally Hansen and other well-known products. A couple of years ago I decided to keep my nails short because I type a lot, ride bikes and help husband with his landscaping hobby. I love the neat and tidy look for me.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@kittyloo , my nails are/were thin.  I started taking Biotin...Hair, Skin and Nails...it seems to have really helped.  I do keep a top coat ORLY Nail Defense/ clear product on my nails, most of the time.   Right now my nails look pretty good....I also have a cuticle issue, but Sally Hansen, Instant cuticle remover/blue container, does a pretty good job, but they are still dry.

In the summer I am in the yard a lot and my nails take a beating.  I am hoping with taking the Biotin, they will stay strong thru the abuse...I do wear gardening gloves.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you take Calcium supplement tablets? Once I started taking a daily calcium tablet, plus eating more jello and drinking more milk, my nails went from soft to strong. Just a thought, although maybe you're already doing that. Strong nails don't peel and chip....and nail polish goes on smoother and lasts longer.

Respected Contributor

Soak your natural nails in olive oil after filing and after soaking your nails for cleansing. Keep fingernails in bowl of olive oil for at least 10 minutes. It actually works for me.
Respected Contributor

I have good nails and have to cut them back often because I like shorter nails.  They stay healthier if I don't use polish.  I can polish occasionally but if I do it all the same they do not do well.  I don't know if it is the polish or the remover.  I have tried many kinds but color polish just ruins the nails underneath.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I keep my nails quite short because I make jewelry. I polish them myself using Perfect Formula...one coat and a second coat mid-week. I oil my cuticles every night and use a very rich hand cream at bedtime over nails as well.

Gloves are a must doing dishes and housecleaning. At the first sign of a split, I apply brush on nail glue until it grows out long enough to cut, file and re-polish. I wear clear latex gloves when I paint to prevent having to scrub hands, but can’t do that making jewelry...too many chemicals and sharp tools involved. They’d just get cut up. 

I definitely stay with clear polish which is more forgiving with chipping and brighter colors draw attention to any flaws on aging hands. Pale, neutral shades look best if I do use polish for a special night out. Essie Ballerina Slippers (?) comes to mind. 

Regular Contributor

@Bubbles219 wrote:

@pegsue wrote:

I do mine at home every week, on Sunday evening after dishes are done, face washed, etc. I take an emery board after my nailes are filed and very lightly ruff up the surface of my nails to give the base coat something to stick to.  Again, it is VERY lightly.  I clean off with alcohol and do a base coat, 2 coats of color and a top coat.  My polish lasts until Friday evening/Saturday am. when I take it off.  I use all brands of polish, Revlon, Sally Hansen, OPI, Avon and they all pretty much last for me.  My hubby  taught me that little trick years ago and ever since I've not had problems.  

I am a secretary so I file every day at my job, type, etc.  When my nailes are polished I do use gloves at home if I do dishes by hand or if I am working out in the yard/garden.

Thank you for the tips.  I have tried expensive polishes and inexpensive polishes and found that they all last about the same.  (Don't last).  I am going to try your routine.  Was wondering though ~ I use crystal files on my nails ~ do you think that would work as well as an emory board?

Oh definitely.  I have a crystal file too but I like the emory boards better.  The crystal file doesn't seem as gentle on my nails when I scruff them up a bit.  

Trusted Contributor

I do my own nails all the time. I have OPI nail polish but have never had great results with it.  Started Using Deborah Lippmann and love it.  Much better results.

I use OPI Nail Envy for base.  Even if I go without color I put this use this

Deborah Lippmann Rock Hard as a clear base

2 Coats of Deborah Lippman Gel Polish

Deborah Lippmann Addicted to Speed

1 Coat of Rock Hard again.

Depending on the nail polish I use I get better results.  I have found the metallic ones don't wear as long.  Sticking with normal Gel colors I can get up to a week.  No matter what I do I have to paint them at least once a week.

Respected Contributor

I do my own nail.  Nail Envy by OPI, you first put it on everyday for a period of time and then when they are stronger use it as your base coat.  Essie has a line of colors with stregthener in the formula too.  there are lots of these type of products on the market.

Respected Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

I get my (natural) nails done every 2 weeks.  In between I do a polish change not because of chips, rather I grow tired of the color.  I use Orly Bonder as a base coat, then 2 coats of polish and a top coat. I seldom have chips and I clean, knit, play piano, etc.

It is true, some nails seem  adverse to nail polish.  Softer nails bend, causing polish to crack, then chip or peel.

Years ago when I removed my acrylic nails, I used Nailtiques 2 as a base coat.  Occasionally I still go back to it.

I love that Orly bonder!  I forgot about that product.  Great base coat!