Regular Contributor

allergic reaction- how long to clear up?

Monday night I tried a new serum. At night I noticed I wanted to itch the bottom of my cheeks. The next day it seemed to get worse with visible red bumps. No rash or hives anywhere else on my body.

Yesterday I went to urgent care. I'm now taking a steroid pill, 6 yesterday. Using cortisome cream and bendryl. 

She told me to keep it simple with the skincare. I have cetaphil cleanser. 

Anyways it's looking worse. If you've had a reaction how long did it take to feel better? I'm just down and I guess I want instant gratification. 

Honored Contributor

Re: allergic reaction- how long to clear up?

Be very careful!   It sounds like the doctor may have over-medicated you for an allergic reaction.   Usually discontinuing the product works.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

It sounds like she gave you Prednisone, which you might or might not need, but it only 5 days and does help with swelling

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

Please consider seeing a dermatologist if you continue to have problems.  Cerave products (drugstore) are very good.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have sensitive skin and I've had some reactions in the past. I've learned to keep it simple and I don’t try too many new things.   When I have had an allergic reaction I laid off everything and used water only to cleanse plus over the counter cortisone cream on affected areas.  It would always clear up after 2-3 days. 

Trusted Contributor

@EllieMuncaster wrote:

Monday night I tried a new serum. At night I noticed I wanted to itch the bottom of my cheeks. The next day it seemed to get worse with visible red bumps. No rash or hives anywhere else on my body.

Yesterday I went to urgent care. I'm now taking a steroid pill, 6 yesterday. Using cortisome cream and bendryl. 

Anyways it's looking worse. If you've had a reaction how long did it take to feel better? I'm just down and I guess I want instant gratification. 

@EllieMuncaster Next time take a spoonful of UMF 20 Manuka honey and rub some on the skin where you are broken out. It will be gone in a day. It’s not cheap, but it’s cheaper and safer than hospital visits and harsh meds. 
Super Contributor

I've had some pretty serious reactions around my hairline and neck and have had 10% cortisone balm (a petrolatum base) plus antibiotics (the rash got infected *yuck*). The emerg doc (also GP) told me to be sure to use the cream 2x/day right after I wash, on damp skin and he said to stay away from cream based cortisone products, as they could make my skin more dry (part of my issue is dry skin).

The balm would make my skin itch like crazy at first and then after a few hours it would feel better, but it would still be very red, and I had to reapply for a few days (antibiotics for the standard week long prescription).

You're not looking for instant gratification as much as relief and that's totally understandable.

I still have flare-ups and I can tell my skin has been damaged by the reactions, although it's nothing really visible. Be really gentle with your skin (and yourself!!!) Smiley Happy

Hope you feel better soon.

@EllieMuncaster wrote:

Regular Contributor

Thank you all so much.