Respected Contributor

Re: ? about loose setting powders

[ Edited ]

I forgot to mention," W3ll People" is an excellent translucent Powder which has a soft very subtle glow & also one that has the effect of blurring fine lines. I would compare it to the original La Mer except the the W3ll has all natural ingred. & does not contain talc & cruelty free & only around 20.00. I have the Bio Brightner loose W3ll.

Trusted Contributor

I use a very, very light dusting of IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores loose powder. (They also have the Bye Bye Pores in a compact but have found that it gives a chalky finish.) The loose powder, though, gives a wonderful finish that looks natural. I use it over the IT original Celebration Foundation. You only need a tiny amount. 

If you try the loose Bye Bye Pores, do not pull the inside seal off of the top but instead poke out just a few holes. Then when you use it tap just a tiny bit into the lid and take your brush and swirl and apply. I like the IT wand brush. But a teeny, tiny bit is all you need - less is more!! It gives a poreless finish that lasts all day.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl wrote:

boehm- I am 63 and use a few setting powders, however, eveything you put on your face does settle in the wrinkles and lines--no matter what is said to the contrary. I have very few lines and no wrinkles, but still it all settles in the few I do and it's just another  wonderful thing about aging skin. so----

The ones below are in compacts except for the veil.

I LOVE MAC setting powder--it comes in a compact and I use it all the time. Very sheer.

I use Mineral veil

Laura Geller has a nice one

Josie Maran has one that is very nice with a little sheen to it.

My tip is to make sure you are mositurizing your skin well, and to not apply to heavy. A good brush is a must.

Hi @wagirl  when you use the MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder do you get any flash back?  TIA  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kabella wrote:

I forgot to mention," W3ll People" is an excellent translucent Powder which has a soft very subtle glow & also one that has the effect of blurring fine lines. I would compare it to the original La Mer except the the W3ll has all natural ingred. & does not contain talc & cruelty free & only around 20.00. I have the Bio Brightner loose W3ll.

Hi @Kabella  .. is this the W3ll People powder you use:  

Realist Invisible Setting Powder 

Honored Contributor

Hi B---what is flash back? This powder just diffuses slightly over my finished face. No color or shine --kind of softens everything without changing the colors. Does that help? I would check out e$bay to see if you can get it for less.I hate spending the big bucks on something that I end up hating.

Respected Contributor

@IMissSuperPoke  I have ordered the RCMA nad Ben Nye products from the website Camera Ready Cosmetics. They sell numerous brands. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

Hi B---what is flash back? This powder just diffuses slightly over my finished face. No color or shine --kind of softens everything without changing the colors. Does that help? I would check out e$bay to see if you can get it for less.I hate spending the big bucks on something that I end up hating.

Hi @wagirl .. I had never heard of flash back until I did my research on the setting/finishing powders.  Apparently,  it is a dusty, white cast, caused by makeup,  that saturates your complexion in photos.... in other words it makes you look like a "ghost" in photos 

Honored Contributor

A box of Alexandra deMarkoff translucent powder lasted YEARS!  I loved it soooo much.  When I went to buy more a couple years ago I found that it was discontinued.  I think the whole company is gone!  I thought it was the best powder ever!  A tiny amt went a long way.  I haven't looked long and hard for a replacement.  Bought some Clinique but it's just so-so.  Bought some It Bye Bye Pores the other day and the sales girl promised it wouldn't look white on my face.  It does.  I  thought I was just using a tiny bit but maybe I should try using a powder brush instead of the powder puff that comes with it.

Esteemed Contributor

As previously mentioned I think IT's Bye Bye Pores is wonderful.  Another favorite of mine is Laura Mercier's Translucent Setting Powder.  By the way, those liked this powder, but their complexions were too dark for Laura's original translucent, there is now a dark translucent Woman Very Happy.  I also think BareMinerals Mineral Veil continues to be one of the better loose setting powders.  Finally, Makeup Forever's HD is also on my list of very good.  For a drugstore substitute to the Makeup Forever try ELF's HD. They are very similar finely milled white powders.  I've had both in my makeup case at the same time, and I swear the differences are indistinguishable in look on the face, wear time, and feel of the powder.