Valued Contributor

Yr BEST/worst "Self Tanning" to date??

I've been interested in adding "tanning drops" to any of my body/face lotions of choice.  But I'm totally inexperienced & unknowledgeable abt what works, what doesnt.

Since their L'Oreal self-tanning product worked in yrs past, using my own "self tanning system" (below),   I newly bought  L'Oreal's "Sublime Bronze" "Self-Tanning *Facial Drops*" to try.  It contains Hyaluronic Acid, & is "Fragrance Free."  two +'s,  so far..

In yrs past, I've found that a pre-layer of any preferred body lotion is a must, & works very well for my ultimate, even tan. 

I used to use:

. 1stAvon "Skin So Soft" "Satin Glow" Medium (tube), ... 

. . . . . .(which of course, Avon has discontinued.. (as w/ many of Avon's great items!  Smiley Frustrated ))

.. . . . . .(the famed "Jergens" didnt work for me,  + I didnt care for the scent)

. 2nd)   L'Oreal "Sublime Bronze" Tinted Self-Tanning Lotion, Medium.(tube)

The above yielded my "perfect, perfect" tan color. I'm aiming for that again, but with now available products.

Questions:

• What's worked for u in the past?
  • What'd u try, & didnt work?
  • What do u hope to try now?

Thanks!

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Trusted Contributor

Re: Yr BEST/worst "Self Tanning" to date??

I love self tanning!     I do like Bondi Sands.  But my favorite is called Coco & Eve.

They also sell face drops that you mix with a little of your own face moisturizer.

When I self tan,  I find that I like to use ultra-dark.   Everytime I buy 'dark'  no matter what kind,  it usually ends up being a med tan.

Another one I have tried and liked was 'Fake bake'   again the darker one.   What I liked about that one was it dries almost instant.

I don't like waiting for the tanner to dry.   All of the above smell great too.  And I am not kidding,  Bondi sands smells like coconuts,  its very tropical.   The coco & eve smells fruity and delicious in a tropical way too  like mango's.    None of them make me look orange.  I just feel better having some color and looking sun kissed without the harmful rays.

Honored Contributor

The whole self tanning thing has no fascination for me.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Trusted Contributor

Forgot to mention I have tried Josies liquid gold tanner,  and while I like Josies products and the tanner was moisturizing,   it did stink and the color pay off was not good for me.   I could not sleep all night with it on because it smelled so strong. 

Honored Contributor

I have tried self-tanners in years past.  Every time, any small spots I had on my legs would turn black with the self-tanner.  I looked worse after the application with disturbing black spots on my legs even though the tanner looked great (minus the black spots).  I gave up and have accepted the fact that, in my case, it's best to avoid.

I do get some sun on my body,  but the amount of time is limited so it isn't excessive.

Honored Contributor

My first experience was with the Jergens.  I made a mess of my legs by not exfoliating first and then applying too much product and layering too quickly, hoping to speed up the results. The tan was uneven and splotchy, especially around my ankles.  I exfoliated intently to try and lighten it up.  I gave the Jergens to my daughter.

Many years ago, I tried Josie Maran's Tanning Oil.  I ended up returning it.  I can't remember anything about the scent, but the application and dry down was bad in my opinion. Too oily for too long.

Last year I tried the Younique Tanning Drops that got added to a serum or moisturizer.  It was a guessing game as to how many drops to add, but once that was figured out the results were ok.  They did not smell bad. Fading seemed a little uneven, but that could be normal. The seemed kind of expensive for as quickly as I went through the bottle. 

Last night, I had my first session with the Bondi Sands Tanning Foam, a double application . So far, so good.  You can read my full review in the Bondi Sands thread. There was no foul odor, application was easy, color showed immediately but deepened as it processed. The light-medium looks natural.  I have the Bondi Sands lotion for maintaining the tan between sessions, too, but obviously haven't tried it yet. 

Even though I have the Bondi Sands, I ordered the HSN Tan Luxe Drops TS, and will experiment with them at some point. 

Honored Contributor

I used to do the Jergens lotion every other day (they have a light/medium shade), but after handwashing, dish washing, etc., I had white wrists and hands. Lol  I also wouldn't use it on my face/neck/chest area since that's washed twice a day, at least. I had to keep using a bronzing powder to have may face match my arms and legs.

IMHO, it wasn't worth the effort and the smell was awful!!! There's nothing wrong with being fair. 

Respected Contributor

Every single self tanning product I've used in the past had an awful smell IMO.   Some were worse than others.  Just went I thought,  this one has no smell..... that funky odor would hit my nose. 

The ONLY one that I have found not to have  a scent and give a great tan is MINE TAN.  QVC used to feature it with Jimmy Coco's name on it (some tanning guru!).  It was a 2 pack with a gradual daily tanning mousse and one that was much darker.  I purchased a few two packs,  am still using every now and then in the colder months on my face (wtith the gradual tanning mousse),  but will use it more in the warmer months. Thankfully I have a back up two pack.

The gradual tan is fabulous for the face.  Gives a really nice even color and you can make it darker with repeated applications daily,  or as often as needed.  The darker self tanner I always mix with a body moisturizer because it is really dark.  It applies much better, and more evenly,  when mixed, IMO.

Respected Contributor

I have tried many products with not so good results until I tried Isle of Paradise.  I'm a lovely, pale Irish gal and this actually looks natural on me.  I've used both the drops and the butter.  I'm not looking for a dark tan, just some healthy, natural looking color.  I use at night so I can use sunscreen during the day.

Contributor

I love St. Tropez mousse. I get compliments on my "tan " all the time. They sell it at Ulta but here on QVC you can get 2 for the same price.