Trusted Contributor

Youtube makeup/beauty tutorials and filters

Apparently I've been living under a rock because I wasn't aware, until recently, that filters and special lighting are used by most of the beauty youtubers!  I watched a video that Wayne Goss did that showed just how much of a difference filters and lighting can make in the appearance of one's face.  

No wonder these youtubers look poreless and flawless.  Again, I must be living under a rock, but I've got to admit I'm a little disappointed.

Honored Contributor

Re: Youtube makeup/beauty tutorials and filters

@Sue98 wrote:

Apparently I've been living under a rock because I wasn't aware, until recently, that filters and special lighting are used by most of the beauty youtubers!  I watched a video that Wayne Goss did that showed just how much of a difference filters and lighting can make in the appearance of one's face.  

No wonder these youtubers look poreless and flawless.  Again, I must be living under a rock, but I've got to admit I'm a little disappointed.

@Sue98  Yes, it’s definitely a bummer to find this out. I blame this “perfection” for all of us striving for the same impossible results. Even many of the 50 and older bloggers are well lit so we can’t get an adequate read of their results. 

We’re living in a youth driven, anti-aging society anyway. This certainly does not help. 

Honored Contributor

I understand why they use beauty lighting and filters. Even the youngest and most beautiful of them receive the most horrible comments about their looks. And the prettier/more striking looking youtubers get more views. There's every reason for them to grab any advantage they can.

But totally agree that it creates a problem for us everyday viewers who don't get good information about how products apply and wear in the real world.

What's even funnier is when an "influencer" makes a snapchat video demonstrating a product, and uses that dang big eye, smoothing filter the whole time.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

This is why I only watch YouTubers for swatches and reviews. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, youtubers all use ring lights and two soft box lights to light their visage so that there are no shadows on their faces and then a lot of them use software so that their videos are filtered so that they don't show wrinkles and age spots or anything else.

If you want to see how this works, check out the Wayne Goss youtube videoclip where he shows how the software works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1lovMzixm0

If you ever watch videos from makeup brands, it's pretty much a guarantee that they all use software to digitally filter them.

Occasional Visitor

I also can believe how much they get pay per tutorial by the makeup brand. I am shocked!! As an RN I wish I could make between $10,000 to $60,000 per patient.  

Honored Contributor

It made me feel better to find that out so I stopped thinking my skin was completely flawed!

Honored Contributor

It's not only YTubers. Shopping channels use them, too. HSN has the best up-lighting Woman Wink