Respected Contributor

Re: Youtube beauty trends that don't work for me

It amazes me the amount of product they use.  Layers and layers. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am not a fan of the thick...bold eyebrow look.....looks awful IMO

Respected Contributor

As I have gotten older, I have decided the saying less is more is correct. 

I do not want to leave the house looking like a clown and that is exactly how some "older" women look; however, the sad thing is they don't set it.

I see a lot of product settling in the creases of some and ask myself why do  they do that to themselves?  It only makes them look older then they are.

There is one YT'er for women over 60 and she always looks great.

Kick back on using a lot of product.  You will be much happier.

Trusted Contributor

Couldn't agree more.  I don't want to look like the lady behind the makeup counter.  Garish!

Respected Contributor

My skin is dry so I am very leery of using a powder but I always need something to set my foundation. A setting spray doesn't always do enough to set it. Youngblood, ByTerry and Kristofer Buckle all have nice setting powders. I used a very light hand and brush downwards. Many powder eyeshadows are also drying for me. I prefer to use cream shadows although I do palettes that I always tempt me. If I do use a powder, I use a cream shadow as my base shade and go light with the powder shadow. Matte lipsticks look horrid on me. If I do find one that I really like I apply a gloss over top. BTW I am 68.

Respected Contributor

I agree that things that work for me in my 20’s will not work for me now in my early 40’s. I do like to bronze and not necessarily “contour.” 

I do like to watch videos on certain eyeshadow palettes to get some ideas for looks. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've noticed a rise in the amount of people doing mustard yellow eyeshadow looks, or talking about how beautiful a brownish-green color is.

Generally speaking, if a shadow is the same color as something that comes out of a person's body when they are sick, I'm not interested.  I don't think I ever will be, because I can't see myself saying, "that looks like bile. I should put that on my eyes!!"  

I'm not saying all the looks are bad, I just don't see myself reaching for colors like that when I have much prettier colors on hand that won't make me look ill.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Valued Contributor

I find myself watching less and less on youtube. Lots of the older women seem to use so many products that it's ridiculous to me.

Honored Contributor

I never got the hang of “baking”. I watch some YouTubers but I don’t have that much time to devote to make up and chasing the next best anti aging thing!