Esteemed Contributor

Youtube beauty trends that don't work for me

[ Edited ]

I've been binge watching various youtube beauty influencers the last couple of weeks and most of them are women and nearly all are young - like in their 20s or 30s with good skin.

So I've tried some of their application techniques and here's what doesn't work for me because I'm older.

Mattifying primers -- they make my skin feel too dry even though I have a bit of an oily T-zone.

A boatload of undereye concealer. Maybe it works for a video but in real life it looks caked when I use too much concealer under my eyes.

Setting powder used after liquid foundation is applied. The powder whether loose or pressed sits in the fine lines and makes them stand out. It's not a good look. I'd rather just use a blotting tissue to absorb any oil breakthrough later on in the day. I also forgot what a mess loose powder makes in the bathroom. I dislike loose powder foundations and stopped using them like Bare Minerals eons ago.

Eyeshadow powders. They make my eyelids look crepey. I'm better off just using a soft gray eyeliner pencil or no eyeliner at all and then using a mascara primer and mascara.

Heavily pigmented matte or liquid lipsticks. They feel icky and terrible on me.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Youtube beauty trends that don't work for me

[ Edited ]

Hi TY1, I agree, powder is not your friend when you get older unless you want to look older!  Evertyhing on these pretty (some young) you tubers looks so good & I have gone out & bought some things, some do not work, some do, and no on false eyelashes for me, not going to even try that...and I'm not a big eye shadow person, so I skip thru those parts

I am 58, so as we get older, it doesn't look as good as it used to

It really does make you want to go out & spend more money, that is what the sponsors want!!!

Respected Contributor

Highlighting is something that's also very trendy right now but one has to be so careful so as not to look garish. Same with bronzing and contouring unless you know what you'e doing and make it very subtle. 

Respected Contributor

@TY

Understand all your items mentioned.

years ago I stopped using eye shadows.  Instead I let the IT concealer applied around the eye area do the job: nice finish, no caking, no collecting in the crease, and lasts all day.  It makes the mascara standout without using eyeliner.

Simplifies making up and saves $.  HTH

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@AnnMarie-1wrote:

Hi TY1, I agree, powder is not your friend when you get older unless you want to look older!  Evertyhing on these pretty (some young) you tubers looks so good & I have gone out & bought some things, some do not work, some do, and no on false eyelashes for me, not going to even try that...and I'm not a big eye shadow person, so I skip thru those parts

I am 58, so as we get older, it doesn't look as good as it used to

It really does make you want to go out & spend more money, that is what the sponsors want!!!

@AnnMarie-1 @TY & others: There are finely milled white setting powders (loose or compact), that can be lightly applied w/ lg. fluffy brush just to t zone. Nars, Makeup Forever and Laura Mercier make good ones. Sample sizes avail. at checkout at Sephora.

Honored Contributor

There are YouTube makeup videos for over 50, some make up artists that do special videos on what not to do for older skin, etc.  

Makeup applied to 20 yr. old perfect skin will look, well, perfect.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmousewrote:

Highlighting is something that's also very trendy right now but one has to be so careful so as not to look garish. Same with bronzing and contouring unless you know what you'e doing and make it very subtle. 

@Texasmouse  Both techniques can look quite garish on someone over 50.

Esteemed Contributor

I watch a few from time to time, mostly for swatches. Ulta/Sephora/dept stores are a trip for me.

Most of what they review I'd never buy. Glitter shadows in unicorn shades, matte lipsticks and primers that make me look like Morticia Addams.

I do get a kick out of reviews, tho. Many are "I'm gonna ask my mommie to get this $200 Natasha Denona palete for me". 

There's seems a disconnect of the pricepoint of what's reviewed and the purchasing power of the subscribers.

Honored Contributor

There are many you-tubers out there discussing beauty and makeup that are in the 40-plus or 50-plus age group.  I was just watching "HotandFlashy" today who's 50-something.  They're definitely out there. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@San Antonio Gal

Yes, Angie Hot & Flashy is one of my favorite youtube beauty influencers.

Here's a fun article about her . I like her filming studio setup, there's a photo of it in the article below. She also has a youtube video showing the room that she films in and her camera and lighting setup.

I think it's her graphic artist background that really shows through in the quality of her videos. She's so well spoken too.

YouTube beauty videos for people over 35 are a huge hit

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/10/27/life/youtube-beauty-videos-people-over-35-are-huge-hit

Angie "Hot-and-Flashy" Schmitt films one of her makeup guides for her channel. 

Angie "Hot-and-Flashy" Schmitt before shooting one of her videos.