Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your opinions please on a misdiagnosis. I am ticked!

@ID2 wrote:

@ellaphant wrote:

Thank goodness this was not life or death, but I'm still ticked.

Last June I began seeing a 'TOP' dermatoligist for red and dry patches around and below my nose and on my chin. Dr said it was Rosacea. Waaa? I couldn't belive it but she said yes it was and I left w a antibiotic cream. The patches went away and then reappeared in August, saw the DR, same diagnosis. Getting a bit worse, saw her again in September, in October she put me on oral antibiotics along with the cream. Afe 3 weeks it was WORSE. Went back and DR said, '"I'm now going to treat this as Facial Sebborhaic Dermatitis"

Now, I am on a cortisone cream and it is clearing up. I have a high deductable and high co-pays and seeing her 4 times has cost me a bit of money. I owe her $178 which my insurance would not cover. I do not feel I should pay this due to 5 month of a misdiagnosis AND walking around with a highly inflammed and flaky face for the last 2 months - not to mention taking a 3 week course of antibiotics I didn't even need! Your thoughts please.

THANKS.

Take her to court.

If she does, she'll lose and I hope she does so the doctor sues her for lack of payment on her bill.

Super Contributor

I think you should have a factual business conversation with the doctor and state your case. Allow her to do the same and reach an agreement and compromise.

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Esteemed Contributor

@ellaphant

My first opinion is the constant disgrace practices that are allowed to go on in the medical field is unbelievable. 

My second thought is I feel bad that you had to go through the insult after the injury.

Third though report the Dr to your State's attorneys office.

Trusted Contributor

Her questions to you and your answers got you to the rosacea diagnosis.  She asked you how long you had the redness, whether it itches, burned or was painless, etc.   It doesn't seem that the two of you had a good understanding and communication with one another.  I'd pay the bill, maybe switch doctors but also recognize that many different conditions appear visibly the same so it isn't ridiculous for a doctor to try antibiotics to rule something out.  If she never communicated to you that there are various conditions that is "could" be I'd switch to a different doctor.

Honored Contributor

---my hubby went thru the same thing on his face, only he went to his primary dr who said it was psoriasis and treated it like that for a few years. Only when I insisted he go to a derm dr for a suspicious spot that turned out to be a basal cell cancer, did the dr say it was not psoriasis but the type you got dx with. He is using a face shampoo every night as he has a beard and I think it is clearing up pretty nicely now. I don't know what to say about a mis dx. Maybe you need to find another derm dr. I guess it boils down to always asking questions. I know we expect the drs to be all knowing but they are only people and we are their bosses. But knowing what to ask is another thing. There should be a handbook for what ? to ask, you know? But glad you are doing better. As for the cash, you should be able to pay it off monthly----maybe.

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant

Yes, your insurance should cover this... all of it minus co-pays, etc!

You did not go in for a cosmetic procedure or purpose.  You went in for a medical condition.  Therefore, medical insurance should cover a rash...a rash is never "nothing" IMO.  ha... I am not a doctor!

I'd call the insurance company and explain all of this to them... insist that you did not go in for a cosmetic reason.

This could have meant streptococcal septicemia, etc, not to be ignored.

I agree that it would be a good idea to speak with the derm office.  I know in my town there is a good ol guy network and I wouldn't want to drive miles to another area to see a derm.  However, it still wouldn't hurt to explain your situation to the office.

I am really on a soapbox about visits over and over without a solution that works.  My doctors used to not charge me for a visit if within a certain amount of time the condition had not improved (2 weeks).

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Shouldn't this have been in wellness?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My thoughts? Call the dr and your insurance company and tell them what you said here. 

Respected Contributor

I was diagnosed with the same type of eczema, seborrhea. Itchy, super flakey, red dry, dry, dry skin on my eyelids and around my mouth and chin. It is a type of yeast infection really, so the typical steroid cream would be prescribed, though steroid creams tend to thin the skin, so only use it short term on the face or the docs prescribe an antifungal cream for it. Both work, but the antifungal will not thin the skin. I have eczema on the rest of my body, right now where my knee brace traps sweat/moisture against my skin. This summer the A/C was out at work, and still not fully working so with no windows, we sweated through the day. The sweat causes my eczema to breakout. It is puffed, itchy, red, swollen, horrible really. I have to wear the brace, so I wear long socks that cover it to help with the excess moisture, use Monistat anti-chaffing cream since it acts like a gel powder to keep the area dry, and Mama's Apothecary cream full of olive oil and other good oils. That works better than the medical cream I was given and cheaper too. I take the brace off at home so the skin can dry and heal. It is still there since July, but much much better.

I would pay the bill since rosacea is very very similar, and just par for the course of diagnosing medical conditions. You use the symptoms to narrow down the issue. Rosacea and eczema are very similar.
Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@ellaphant

My first opinion is the constant disgrace practices that are allowed to go on in the medical field is unbelievable. 

My second thought is I feel bad that you had to go through the insult after the injury.

Third though report the Dr to your State's attorneys office.

What?    Constant disgrace practices?    

What has this got to do with the OP's post?    Rashes can come from any number of things, so it's an inexact science, at best.    Do you think the MD deliberately misdiagnosed the OP?